7.7, Qs: Naming, Non-converging discourse, Word stress

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jan 3 03:37:55 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-7. Tue Jan 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  116

Subject: 7.7, Qs: Naming, Non-converging discourse, Word stress

Editor for this issue: aristar at tam2000.tamu.edu (Anthony M. Aristar)

Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 10:35:00 CST
From:  TB0EXC1 at MVS.CSO.NIU.EDU
Subject:  Naming Laws

2)
Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 23:05:12 +0700
From:  H.A.Y.Wolf at stud.let.ruu.nl ("Henk Wolf")
Subject:  Non-converging discourse

3)
Date:  Sat, 30 Dec 1995 21:32:49 +1000
From:  edulh at LURE.LATROBE.EDU.AU (CALIX)
Subject:  English Word Stress

Date:  Tue, 02 Jan 1996 10:35:00 CST
From:  TB0EXC1 at MVS.CSO.NIU.EDU

Within the past decade or so, a number of countries have
passed laws regarding names and naming. Most of the legislation
restricts given names to what the legislators feel is
'appropriate;' some affect surnames as well. The French
law of some years ago is an exception since it liberalizes
given names.
The Swedish Personal Names Act of 1982, which affected both
given and surnames, has apparently generated a great deal of
comment and judicial response. The Icelandic Personal Names
Act of 1991 has similarly generated considerable response and
many complaints.
I am told that, in addition to these acts, measures affecting
naming have also been approved in Quebec and in Germany.

Two questions: Does anyone know of additional legislation passed
in, say, the past 20 years or so, and

Would someone be willing to summarize the recent legislation, its
impact on names and naming, and the public response, for possible
publication in NAMES, the Journal of the American Name Society?

Edward Callary                 Phone:    815-753-6627
Editor, NAMES                  Fax:      815-753-0606
English Department             Internet: ecallary at niu.edu
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, Il 60115-2863