7.1028, Jobs: Computational, Advanced Tech, Eng-German

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Mon Jul 15 13:43:12 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1028. Mon Jul 15 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  199

Subject: 7.1028, Jobs: Computational, Advanced Tech, Eng-German

Date:  Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:15:49 -0000
From:  jld1 at stir.ac.uk (Dr Judy L Delin)
Subject:  Lecturer in Computational/Descriptive Linguistics

2)
Date:  14 Jul 1996 21:17:30 EDT
From:  73444.2012 at CompuServe.COM (CEO Res/NPD Concpts)
Subject:  Director of Advanced Technology

3)
Date:  Mon, 15 Jul 1996 13:49:55
From:  office at media-enterprise.de ("office")
Subject:  job opportunity

Date:  Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:15:49 -0000
From:  jld1 at stir.ac.uk (Dr Judy L Delin)

Lectureship in Computational and Descriptive Linguistics
University of Stirling, Scotland

The University wishes to expand its growing activity in descriptive and
computational linguistics by appointing a Lecturer to work alongside Dr.
Judy Delin in the Department of English Studies.

We are looking for an established researcher in the field who will invest in
the development of research and teaching at Stirling, with expertise in
discourse, pragmatics, contrastive text analysis, natural language
generation, and/or speech generation.  Experience or an interest in
contrastive text analysis in languages other than English, especially
Japanese, would be particularly desirable. The level of the appointment
reflects our expectation that the new person will be able to generate
external research funds and will have initiative in developing
collaborative research within and outside the group. The post will be
research-led, but the ideal candidate would also be able to help develop
future undergraduate and postgraduate teaching modules in linguistics
and computational linguistics. Future teaching and our research
development will also require expertise in programming for NLP.

Stirling is a small University situated in what is perhaps the most
beautiful campus in the U.K., and within easy reach of Edinburgh and
Glasgow.  The accommodation is modern and well-equipped (networked,
Unix workstation or other platform if preferred). The Lecturer will be part
of the Language and Communication Research Group, an interdisciplinary
group that includes researchers from Psychology,  Education, English
Studies, Japanese Studies, and the Centre for English Language
Teaching. Initiative in establishing further cross-disciplinary links will be
particularly encouraged.

The post would be for two years in the first instance with good prospects of
renewal. The appointment will be on the Lecturer B Scale,  L. 20677 to
L. 26430 a year, with placement according to qualifications, experience, and
potential.  Starting date is negotiable, although we hope that the new
Lecturer will be with us by January 1997.

Informal enquiries are welcome: please contact Dr Judy Delin on(+44) (0)
1786 467974, email: jld1 at stir.ac.uk, or consult the Web page at
http://www.stir.ac.uk/english/Communication/post.html. The date for closure
of formal applications is likely to be in September 1996: anyone sending
email or making an informal enquiry will be sent further particulars
for the post and guidance for applicants once the closing date is finalised.

Dr Judy Delin
Department of English Studies
University of Stirling
Stirling, FK9 4LA