7.1090, Qs: Genericness, Race and accent, Palindrom

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Jul 31 18:38:58 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1090. Wed Jul 31 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.1090, Qs: Genericness, Race and accent, Palindrom

Date:  Sat, 27 Jul 1996 11:23:19 EDT
From:  kliffer at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA (Michael Kliffer)
Subject:  Q: 'the' and genericness

2)
Date:  Sat, 27 Jul 1996 19:35:47 CDT
From:  LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU (Larry Rosenwald)
Subject:  race and accent, re the Atlanta bombing

3)
Date:  Tue, 30 Jul 1996 12:17:22 +0200
From:  essl at ping.at (Karlheinz Essl)
Subject:  in girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

Date:  Sat, 27 Jul 1996 11:23:19 EDT
From:  kliffer at mcmail.CIS.McMaster.CA (Michael Kliffer)

I would like to get bibliographical and direct information on
the following contrast:

(1) The mosquitoes will eat you alive in that park.

(2) Mosquitoes will eat you alive in that park.

Specifically, I would like to know if (1), said without prior mention
of 'mosquitoes', would be considered to contain a generic subject,
just as (2) normally is.  I would also appreciate any insights,
whether syntactic, semantic or pragmatic, on such a contrast or lack
thereof in other syn- tactic positions, e.g.

(3) The woods were swarming with (*the) mosquitoes.  (i.e. it seems to
me that 'the' can't be used if there hasn't been prior mention of its
head N.)

(4) You have to beware of (the) mosquitoes when you go into those
woods.  (I think 'the' is OK here without prior mention of its N.)

Thanks.

Mike Kliffer
Dept. of French
McMaster University