7.809, Sum: books on L2 writing/pedagogy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Jun 2 13:28:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-809. Sun Jun 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  168

Subject: 7.809, Sum: books on L2 writing/pedagogy

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 00:01:12 EDT
From:  ap120 at columbia.edu (Apisak  Pupipat)
Subject:  Sum of some books on L2 writing/pedagogy

Date:  Sun, 02 Jun 1996 00:01:12 EDT
From:  ap120 at columbia.edu (Apisak  Pupipat)

	Some time ago I asked for info on interesting books on L2
writing/pedagogy.  My thanks go to the people who replied, esp.

-Gwyn Williams: gwyn at ipied.tu.ac.th
who introduces the English language teaching in Asia Mailing list
(eltasia-l)

-Alice Horning: horning at oakland.edu

-Gabrielle Goodwin: gg9894 at tec.oz.cc.utah.edu

-Andrea Osburne: osburnea at ccsua.etstateu.edu

-David, McMurray: fk01146 at jupiter.cis.fpu.ac.jp

Etc.

	So, here are the info I've got from them plus from my additional
small research.  If you have some more to add, pls feel free to send them
to me at:
	ap120 at columbia.edu

Best,
apisak pupipat...
Teachers College, Columbia University, New York City, USA
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
A.) Books on L2 writing/pedagogy
1. Kroll, Barbara (Ed.) (1990) "Second Language Writing: Research Insights
for the Classroom."  Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
ISBN: 0-521-38778-7
Comments: This book is the most popular among my responders.  For me, it's
very well researched, neatly organized, and comprehensive.

2. Reid, Joy (1993)  "Teaching ESL Writing."  Englewood Cliffs, New
Jersey: Regents/Prentice Hall.
ISBN: 0-13-888215-0
Comments: Also, good for both theoretical & pedagogical issues.  Very
popular. An excellent activity book for several people.

3. Connor, Ulla, & Ann M. Johns (Eds.) (1990)  "Coherence in Writing:
Research and Pedagogical Perspectives."  Alexandria, Virginia: TESOL.
ISBN: 0939791-34-X
Comments: Ranges from the theoretical to the classroom (including also
the late Hinds' frequently-quoted article on contrastive rhetoric,
something on English for Science and Technology by Johns herself, Swales
and Jacobs, and an article on computer-assisted-instruction).

4. Leki, Iona (1992) "Understanding ESL Writers: A Guide for Teachers."
Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Boynton/Cook Publishers (Heinemann).
ISBN: 0-86709-303-X
Comments: A small yet coherent and informative book.

5. Belcher, Diane, & George Braine (Eds.) (1995) "Academic Writing in a
SecondLanguage: Essays on Research and Pedagogy."  Norwood, New Jersey: Ablex.
ISBN: 1-56750-116-8
Comments: Topics also include from genre analysis and citations in Chinese
& English academic prose to writing in business and science & technology,
and to assessment and ethnography.

6. Leeds, Bruce (Ed.) (1996) "Writing in a Second Language: Insights from
First and Second Language Teaching and Research."  New York:
Londman/Addison-Wesley.  ISBN: 0-201-82589-9
Comments: Covers excellent past articles, from L2 & L2 composing, writing
& reading, revision to teacher feedback and assessment.  Also contains
Raimes's excellent survey article (1991).

7. Ventola, Eija, & Anna Mauranen (Eds.) (1996) "Academic Writing:
Intercultural and Textual Issues."  Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
ISBN: 90 272 5053 7 (Eur.)/1-55619-802-7 (US)
Comments: Contains stuff on contrastive rhetoric of academic prose, e.g.
Swales, Connor, Cmejrkova & Myers.

8. Horning, Alice (1987) "Teaching Writing as a Second Language."
Carbondale: Southern Illinois University Press.
And, by the same author:
"Psycholinguistics of Readable Writing" (1993).
Comments (by author): Research on reading, writing, linguistics and
psychology.
(Contact the author herself for more info.)

9. Perl, Sondra (Ed.) (1994)  "Landmark Essays on Writing Process."
Davis, California: Hermagoras Press.
ISBN: 1-880393-13-1
Comments: Like the Leeds volume, it's another compendium of representative
articles from Emig (1971) to Flower & Hayes (1980) to Murray (1991) and
Sommers (1992).

10. Hillocks, George, Jr. (1995) "Teaching Writing as Reflective
Practice."
New York: Teachers College Press.
ISBN: 0-8077-3434-9
Comments: Perhaps more philosophical than the above titles but readable
and applicable to the classroom. Contains Derida and Vygotsky.

11. Cooper, Marilyn M., & Michael Holzman (1989) "Writing as Social
Action."  Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Boynton/Cook Publishers (Heinemann).
ISBN: 0-86709-244-0
Comments: Besides Cooper's own frequently-cited "Ecology of Writing"
(1986), this collection deals with issues like literacy, protocols,
coherence/cohesion, and community as educator.

12. Purves, Alan C. (Ed.) (1988) "Writing across Languages and Cultures:
Issues in Contrastive Rhetoric."  Newbury Park, California: Sage.
Comments: Another often-cited volume with lots of insights.

B.) Books on academic/ESP/EST writing
1. Swales, John M., & Christine B. Feak (1994) "Academic Writing for
Graduate Students: A Course for Nonnative Speakers of English."  Ann
Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
ISBN: 0-472-08263-9
Comments: To me, another excellent work by Swales & his student.  Highly
recommended.  Comes with a teacher manual (commentary), too.

2. Murray, Donald M. (1993) "Write to Learn" (Fourth ed.).  Fort Worth,
Texas: Harcourt Brace College Publishers.
ISBN: 0-15-500203-1
Comments: A concise volume by a well-known (Pulitzer-prize winner) author.

3. Reid, Joy, & M. Lindstrom (1985) "Process of Paragraph Writing."
Prentice Hall/Regent.
Comments (by David McMurray): "Classic/good coverage of basic writing
areas"

4. Oshima, Alice, & Ann Hogue (1991) "Writing Academic English."  Addison
Wesley.
Comments: To me, this is an excellent book for EAP students.

5. Rooks, George M. (1988) "Pragraph Power."
Comments (by David McMurray): "Have used for hundreds of students, works
well for intermediate & advanced"

6. Suid, Murray, & Wanda Lincoln (1989) "Recipes for Writing."  Addison
Wesley.
Comments (by David McMurray): "fun & creative"