7.834, Disc: Linguistic Society of America & Political Correctness

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 6 14:12:55 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-834. Thu Jun 6 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  257

Subject: 7.834, Disc: Linguistic Society of America & Political Correctness

Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 1996 12:42:36 EDT
From:  gjacobs at YorkU.CA (Greg Jacobs)
Subject:  THE LESBIAN/GAY THING

2)
Date:  Sat, 25 May 1996 11:41:03 EDT
From:  Joseph.Foster at UC.Edu (JOSEPH FREDERICK FOSTER)
Subject:  Re: 7.763, Disc: Linguistic Society of America & Political ,
	  Correctness

3)
Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 1996 00:04:00 PDT
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  pc, the lexical item

Date:  Tue, 04 Jun 1996 12:42:36 EDT
From:  gjacobs at YorkU.CA (Greg Jacobs)

The LSA (and other organizations) need to adopt a "look locally/think
practically" approach (my apologies to Eckert and McConnell-Ginet for
appropriating their terms).

The reality is that discrimination against gays and lesbians will occur
-  and bashings will happen -- whether or not particular states have
anti-lesbian/gay discrimination legislation.  So the argument regarding
the safety and comfort of LSA members is fictitious.

(I also recognize that there are some places which really do represent
a very real danger to lesbians and gays, and obviously the LSA should
not be holding its meetings there.)

What you have been really talking about here are those more
high-profile cases where states have either been targetted by
lesbian/gay activists to adopt anti-discrimination legislation, or
those states that are campaigning to adopt ANTI-anti-discrimination
legislation (or have successfuly done so already).  As I stated above,
I question whether lesbians and gays will REALLY be at any more danger
in these states, than in any others.

So what the LSA is REALLY talking about is making a political
statement.

A boycott will provide an opportunity to raise important political
messages.  And of course, if enough groups boycott, then an economic
impact will surely be felt.  This raises the issue of whether the LSA
wants to be a political body.  And of course, I suspect the answer is
"no".

So I am tempted to fall into the trap of taking the position:  If there
is no REAL risk to the comfort and safety of ALL the members of the LSA
(on the grounds of sexual orientation, race, gender, etc.), then the
politics of a particular region should not at all be a factor in
deciding where meetings are held.

HOWEVER, having said that, we need to look about HOW legislation comes
to be.  Believe me, it has absolutely nothing to do with the good will
and common sense of politicians.  It has everything to do with
pressures that are put on them by NON-political bodies.  So if all
non-political groups never took a political stand, then nothing would
every happen!

CONCLUSION:  I am in favour of the LSA boycotting regions that have
legislation that actively allows discrimination against lesbians and
gays, or those regions that have been targetted by lesbian/gay
activists for l/g-positive amendments to human rights legislation.
However, I arrive at this for very different reasons that whether or
not lesbians and gays will be safe and comfortable in these places.

Members of LSA must recognize that all groups DO have political clout
(whether or not they want it), and therefore they must be
prepared to accept this responsibility (again, whether or not they want
to).

-

| Greg Jacobs                    |  YORK UNIVERSITY                       |
|                                |  Office of Research Administration     |
| Phone:  (416) 736-5055         |  S414 Ross Building                    |
| Fax:  (416) 736-5512           |  4700 Keele Street                     |
| E-mail: gjacobs at yorku.ca       |  North York, Ontario                   |
|                                |  M3J 1P3                               |