7.841, Disc: Non-standard grammar

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Jun 7 13:08:34 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-841. Fri Jun 7 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  182

Subject: 7.841, Disc: Non-standard grammar

Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:52:41 BST
From:  lagunoff at ucla.edu (Rachel Lagunoff)
Subject:  Re: 7.806, Qs: Non-standard grammar

2)
Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 1996 18:17:10 +0200
From:  waruno at paradox.rz-berlin.mpg.de (Waruno Mahdi)
Subject:  Re: 7.828, Disc: Non-standard grammar

3)
Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 1996 22:59:52 EDT
From:  rowe at email.unc.edu (Charles Rowe)
Subject:  Re: 7.806 'non-standard grammar'

Date:  Wed, 05 Jun 1996 11:52:41 BST
From:  lagunoff at ucla.edu (Rachel Lagunoff)

>It is a commonly held view among linguists that, linguistically, all
>language varieties are of equal value, and 'standard' languages are no
>'better' than non-standard; however, I wonder if we really 'practise
>what we preach' in this regard.

There are two separate issues here: one is the linguistic value of
different varieties of a language, and the other is the social value of
different varieties and styles.  In order to have our views taken seriously
in media and academia, we have to write and (to a lesser extent) speak
according to the "standard" variety.  I don't see how to change the
expectations and prejudices of the society except gradually over time,
through educating people about the inherent equality of all languages and
varieties.  In the meantime, we are not penalizing our students by
requiring them to write in the standard, but rather ensuring that they are
not penalized in their future careers.  It is possible to teach a certain
variety without denigrating all other varieties.

As an analogy, there is no inherent value in wearing clothes, or certain
kinds of clothing (at least in warm climates).  If someone wants to walk
around nude or in shorts and a t-shirt, it hurts no one.  However, I would
not counsel someone to walk naked into my classroom or into a job interview
in order to make the point that nudity should be acceptable to everyone.

Rachel Lagunoff
lagunoff at ucla.edu