7.915, Disc: Linguality

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Jun 20 23:54:30 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-915. Thu Jun 20 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  118

Subject: 7.915, Disc: Linguality

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:51:57 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)
Subject:  Re: 7.907, Disc: Linguality

2)
Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 09:54:43 +0200
From:  gramkow at hum.auc.dk (Karsten Gramkow)
Subject:  Linguality

3)
Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 08:53:33 PDT
From:  gldsmth at u.washington.edu (John Goldsmith)

Date:  Wed, 19 Jun 1996 10:51:57 +0300
From:  druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi (Deborah D K Ruuskanen)

Linguality/Translation
Re the Norwegian who "mastered" 60 languages. OK, I myself can translate
OUT OF about 14 languages into English, and I have a friend who is a
professional translator and can translate OUT OF about 60 languages into
English, but neither of us would claim we have "mastered" these
languages. We could not translate from English INTO most of them, and I
doubt if we could carry on a conversation even on the "can I have a
glass of water" or "lovely weather" level in more than three or four.
Somewhere I read that 4 languages for conversational purposes was the
most that "ordinary" people could handle, and that if they acquired a
fifth, they had to drop one of the others from their repetoire, but
don't ask me for the reference - it was in a psych book, though, not a
linguistics text, along with the familiar "you can do seven things at
once" statement.  Cheers, DKR
-
Deborah D. Kela Ruuskanen     \  You cannot teach a Man anything,
Leankuja 1, FIN-01420 Vantaa  \    you can only help him find it
druuskan at cc.helsinki.fi       \    within himself.      Galileo