7.428, Qs: IPA, Vulgarity, Azerbaijani, Tex-Mex,Film,V+P

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Mar 22 15:31:12 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-428. Fri Mar 22 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  196

Subject: 7.428, Qs: IPA, Vulgarity, Azerbaijani, Tex-Mex,Film,V+P

Date:  Mon, 04 Mar 1996 02:14:30 CST
From:  yukiko at tam2000.tamu.edu (Yukiko S Alam)
Subject:  ASCII of the IPA

2)
Date:  Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:57:00 EST
From:  laura_Gekeler at sil.org
Subject:  The origin of a certain vulgarity

3)
Date:  Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:17:27 +0200
From:  hdilman at harbiye.kho.edu.tr (Hakan DILMAN)
Subject:  Azerbaijanian Language

4)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 15:55:55 EST
From:  NEUNER at wehle.canisius.edu ("Jerry Neuner")
Subject:   Spanglish and Tex-Mex

5)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 17:14:17 EST
From:  lcomajoa at indiana.edu (llorenc colome comajoan)
Subject:  The Pear Film

6)
Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 1996 18:00:00 PST
From:  IBENAWJ at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (benji wald                          )
Subject:  Scandinavian V+P nominals

Date:  Mon, 04 Mar 1996 02:14:30 CST
From:  yukiko at tam2000.tamu.edu (Yukiko S Alam)

Is there a standard ASCII representation of the IPA?  If so, could someone
email me its detail or point me to it?

	Yukiko Sasaki Alam
	yukiko at tamu.edu

Date:  Tue, 12 Mar 1996 22:57:00 EST
From:  laura_Gekeler at sil.org

     Without intending to be vulgar or inappropriate for
     this list, I'd like to raise a few questions.
     While watching a movie with my brother-in-law this past
     week, we began converse about the usage of vulgarity.
     We were watching a film made in the 90's, but set
     during the years 1947-1973 or so in an upstate New York
     prison.
     Films often make it sound like the whole world uses
     vulgarities, especially "the F-word," and uses them all
     the time.
     We, my brother-in-law and I, began speculating if there
     were a way to find out definitively when that
     particular four-letter word, among others, began to be
     used and by whom. We assumed it has always meant the
     same thing, so that wasn't a part of our inquiries.
     (The unabridged dictionary we consulted, surprise
     surprise, didn't contain the entry.) And I know from
     other languages that many (most?all?) of them generally
     have a -oh, what would you call it? derogatory? way of
     referring to what normally is a natural and beautiful
     event between two people.
     In organizing my questions then, I'm asking:
     Where did the word "fuck" come from?
     What group(s) of English speakers popularized ( I
     shudder to say that) its usage?
     Do Linguist listers believe it is used as prevalently
     among lower socio-economic groups, teenagers, the
     average cynic and others as Hollywood so often
     portrays?
     Also, do any of you have any philosophical theories as
     to why human beings might choose to describe themselves
     and their activities through the use of vulgarities?
     As is the habit on this list, I'll summarize the

     Thank you.
     Laura
     laura.gekeler at sil.org