7.467, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 27 14:27:51 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-467. Wed Mar 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  232

Subject: 7.467, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

Date:  Mon, 25 Mar 1996 11:03:23 EST
From:  dever at isp.pitt.edu (Dan Everett)
Subject:  Re: 7.458, Disc: Economy, Minimalism, and Formalism

2)
Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:02:56 +1030
From:  powers at ist.flinders.edu.au ("David M. W. Powers")

3)
Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:38:28 EST
From:  John.Limber at unh.edu (John E Limber)

Date:  Mon, 25 Mar 1996 11:03:23 EST
From:  dever at isp.pitt.edu (Dan Everett)

Let me make a couple of comments on recent replies by Dick Hudson
and A. Manaster-Ramer to Y. Falk's posting on economy.

First to AMR, who wonders how we could find a language-specific
principle:

Chomsky pointed out what would constitute language-specific principles
quite explicitly in the debate with Piaget years ago. In any case,
the basic argument would be something like, to take one example, "WH-Island
constraints (or their various reformulations, Subjacency, Tensed-S,
Nominative Island Condition, ECP, etc.) - as formulated in GB, minimalist
theory, etc. - are only statable in terms of language. Therefore, they
are language-specific principles."

Now, this may not convince you. I would be surprised if it did. But the
task faced by one wishing to rebut this argument would be to show that an
equally good account of, say, the ECP is possible for language (i.e. which
gets all and only the relevant extraction facts), but which also accounts
for properties of some other cognitive system, say, vision. This seems
highly unlikely. This is Chomsky's usual strategy.

Of course, there is another kind of reply to this argument, namely, to
compare whole theories (e.g.  Cognitive Grammar vs.  Minimalist Theory)
and see how well a given theory both handles language facts and vision
facts. But since Chomsky is concerned with grammar (or I-Language) and
many other theories are concerned with Language (his E-language), it is
unlikely that we'll be able to compare theories even on their coverage of
language, much less their transferability to other cognitive domains.
Theories which *are* more or less formally comparable to minimalist theory
(e.g. HPSG) on coverage of grammar, often eschew efforts to find
"cognitive reality" for their proposals as premature. So they cannot be
compared with GB/Minimalism on cognitive validity.

So, the arguments for language-specific properties will probably convince
you if you otherwise are convinced by Chomsky's theory/ies but not
otherwise. I do not think we (the community of linguists) have any way to
proceed at present with a theory-to-theory comparison.

As for Dick Hudson's comments, they seem to me to be
inaccurate. Let me repeat them:

> Yehuda Falk says in reaction to Esa Itkonen's comment on the implications of
> `economy' in Minimalism:
>
> > I think this is a misunderstanding of the formalist position. In the
> > first place, "economy" of some sort has always played a role in formal
> > linguistic theory, back to the notion of an "evaluation metric" in early
> > generative grammar. These have always been economy conditions on formal
> > grammatical processes, and this is no less true of Minimalist economy
> > conditions like Procrastinate and Greed than of earlier approaches. To see
> > them as a radical departure away from formal theory is not justified.
>
> dh: The earlier types of `economy' applied to the activity of the *linguist*
> writing a grammar: assume the minimum of rules, categories, etc. The new
> kind of economy is surely completely different, as it applies to the *user*.
> I think Esa Itkonen is right.

DE: No, I think Itkonen & Hudson are wrong. Economy (chosing one analysis
over another based on simplicity, for example) as used in Generative
Grammar through the years is a claim about users of language. A rule with
more symbols, for example, was supposed to be harder to learn than a rule
with fewer symbols. A transformation with more steps was supposed to be a
harder structure to process than a transformation with fewer steps. So the
earlier types of economy did NOT apply merely to the activity of the
linguist, but, crucially, to the user.

-  Dan Everett