7.469, Qs: Grammatical words, Syllabification, Speech therapy

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Wed Mar 27 18:38:22 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-469. Wed Mar 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  153

Subject: 7.469, Qs: Grammatical words, Syllabification, Speech therapy

Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:41:14 GMT
From:  teemsht at ioe.ac.uk (Su-Hsun Tsai)
Subject:  Q: Database for Grammatical words?

2)
Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 15:48:19 EDT
From:  PHHAF at acadvm1.uottawa.ca
Subject:       French/English syllabification

3)
Date:  Wed, 27 Mar 1996 13:58:55 GMT
From:  helge.dyvik at foli.uib.no (Helge Dyvik)
Subject:  Linguistics for speech therapists

Date:  Tue, 26 Mar 1996 18:41:14 GMT
From:  teemsht at ioe.ac.uk (Su-Hsun Tsai)

Dear Netters,

     Sorry for cross-posting to those Info-Childes members.

     I am working a paper counting lexical density for written text,
and I have problems to extract out the lexical words.

     Lexical density is inspired by Halliday's Spoken and Written
Language (p. 63, 1989).  He suggests using entries listed in Roget's
Thesaurus (1982, 1984) as the criteria to count words as lexical ones.

     However, as lexical words are terrible huge, it won't be
possible, nor practical, to build them into a corpus, and run the
corpus in the IBM-PC to compare with the data file so that all the
lexical words can be thrown out (using a language analysis program
called CLAN, with command "FREQ +d1 +s at lexicalfile datafile.")

     I am wondering if there is a database collecting all words other
than those listed in the Roget's Thesaurus (hence they are only
grammatical words).  If this is the case, this database will be
extremely smaller than the original Roget's.  Then, it will be much
easier to attach it to the command line so that all lexical words from
the data file can be extracted (using "FREQ +d1 -s at grammaticalfile
datafile.")

     Any responses will be gratefully received.

Su-hsun, research student
IOE, U. of London
teemsht at ioe.ac.uk