7.680, Misc: The millenium, ESL

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri May 10 20:42:25 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-680. Fri May 10 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  97

Subject: 7.680, Misc: The millenium, ESL

Date:  Wed, 08 May 1996 11:08:51 CDT
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)
Subject:  The millenium

2)
Date:  Wed, 08 May 1996 01:38:39 +0200
From:  green at europa.pangeanet.it (Marina & Anthony Green)
Subject:  ESL

Date:  Wed, 08 May 1996 11:08:51 CDT
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)

        For Dag Gundersen and others interested in the first decade of
the century -- how about calling it "the aughts"?  The
two-thousand-aughts or the twenty-aughts.
        For some English-speakers there was (or is?) a pattern of
using "aught" for the zero in a date, as in "nineteen aught five".
        This "aught" for zero, says my dictionary, comes from a
"false" division of "a naught" into "an aught" -- not to be confused
with the Scottish "aught", which means "eight"!
        Didn't someone recently use this List to survey our intuitions
about these expressions?  And did I merely miss the summary of
results, or is that summary still forthcoming?

Lee Hartman
Dept. of Foreign Languages
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901-4521