7.720, Disc: Languages in dreams, Typology, Millennium

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue May 21 14:45:14 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-720. Tue May 21 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  180

Subject: 7.720, Disc: Languages in dreams, Typology, Millennium

Date:  Mon, 20 May 1996 16:28:53 CDT
From:  mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Rebecca Larche Moreton)
Subject:  Re: 7.717, Disc: Foreign languages in dreams

2)
Date:  Mon, 20 May 1996 19:42:17 PDT
From:  karenk at netcom.com (Karen Kay)

3)
Date:  Tue, 21 May 1996 11:20:54 +0200
From:  B.Diels at student.kun.nl

4)
Date:  Fri, 17 May 1996 14:58:19 PDT
From:  DRYER at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU (Matthew Dryer)
Subject:  Disc: Syntactic Typology

5)
Date:  Mon, 13 May 1996 14:09:18 CDT
From:  Mark at dragonsys.com (Mark Mandel)
Subject:   the millennium

Date:  Mon, 20 May 1996 16:28:53 CDT
From:  mlrlm at sunset.backbone.olemiss.edu (Rebecca Larche Moreton)

In reference to Joel Hoffman's suggestion that dreams are a-linguistic and
that we do not actually use any language in our dreaming interactions:
what is going on when people talk in their sleep?  Here they are at least
speaking their native language.
And in reference to William J. de Reuse's theory that what we remember
doing in a dream is not necessarily what we were actually doing (we could
go much further and say that we are rarely doing what we dreamed we were
doing, we're mostly sleeping); yet it would be interesting to study which
parts of the brain are actively involved during those dream-periods in
which we "remember" having spoken any language.
I am interested in the question because I believe that a student can mark
his real entry into usable learning of a language by
the appearance of the first dream in which he spoke the language easily
and well. Such a dream indicates the learner is over the rank beginner
stage and into the long middle journey which will end, if ever, when
he can understand jokes in the language. I wonder if anybody else has
noticed a similar phenomenon or has a idea about what might be happening.

Rebecca Larche Moreton
<rebeling at mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu>