7.1541, Sum: Pronominal imperatives

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 2 13:25:54 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1541. Sat Nov 2 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  334

Subject: 7.1541, Sum: Pronominal imperatives

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:56:29 EST
From:  kate at global2000.net (Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber)
Subject:  Re: Pronominal imperatives -- & some questions

Date:  Wed, 30 Oct 1996 22:56:29 EST
From:  kate at global2000.net (Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber)

-A- This is a summary of answers to my request for info on natural
languages using pronominal imperatives.

"Daniel L. Everett" <dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu> writes:

>Piraha, an Amazonian language isolate, uses pronouns for imperatives.
>This is discussed in my grammar of Piraha (Handbook of Amazonian
>Languages, vol1, ed. by D. Derbyshire and G. Pullum).
>
>(1) gi?ai       kahapii
>    you (indic) go
>   'You go.'
>
>(2) ?ogiaagao kahapii
>     everyone   go
>     'Everyone/all go.'
>
>(3) goi kahapii
>    you (imperative) go
>    'Go!'
>
>(4) ka?ao kahapii
>    imp.  go
>    'Let's go.'
>
>First person pl. doesn't really exist. But the preverbal pronounis the
>only way to get across the idea of hortatory, not a verbal mood.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal <mcv at pi.net> writes:

Hausa comes to mind:

i`n zoo "let me come"         I = nii
ka` zoo "come!" (masc.)       you (m.) = kai
ki` zoo "come!" (fem.)        you (f.) = kee
ya` zoo "let him come"        he = shii
ta` zoo "let her come"        she = ita
a`  zoo "let someone come"
mu` zoo "let us come"         we = muu
ku` zoo "come!" (pl.)         you (pl.) = kuu
su` zoo "let them come"       they = suu

It should be noted, however, that in Hausa, changing the pronoun is
the normal way of encoding tense, aspect and mood.  The verb is not
inflected, except that there *is* a special 2nd person imperative,
without pronoun, where the verb is given a different intonation
pattern.

SUBJ.          IMPER.
ka` zoo        zoo`        "come!"
ka` zaunaa`    za`una      "sit down!"
ka` shigoo     shi`go      "come in!"
ka` kara`ntaa  ka`ra`nta   "read it!"

[Source: Kraft & Kirk-Greene "Teach Yourself Hausa"