7.1696, FYI: Phonetics Lab/ Umeaa, Sweden, Lancaster Corpus-correction

The Linguist List linguist at unix.tamu.edu
Sat Nov 30 18:10:20 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1696. Sat Nov 30 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  106

Subject: 7.1696, FYI: Phonetics Lab/ Umeaa, Sweden, Lancaster Corpus-correction

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Texas A&M U. <aristar at unix.tamu.edu>

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at unix.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Thu, 28 Nov 1996 17:58:50 +0100
From:  kirk at ling.umu.se (Kirk Sullivan)
Subject:  Lab welcomes guest students and researchers

2)
Date:  Fri, 29 Nov 1996 17:09:00 +0100
From:  0431659800-0001 at t-online.de (Guenter Schubert)
Subject:  Correction Sum Lancaster Corpus

Date:  Thu, 28 Nov 1996 17:58:50 +0100
From:  kirk at ling.umu.se (Kirk Sullivan)

Umea Phonetic Laboratory welcomes guest students and guest
researchers.

The phonetics laboratory in Umea is in the rather unusal position
of being exceptionally well equipped (See the description of the
current state of the lab at
http://www.ling.umu.se:80/~anderse/phonlab_new.html) and
simulanteoulsy not being over used! We are aware of this unique
situation and
 offer our facilities to both guest students and guest
researchers. Some of use remember being students and having to
wait weeks to have a few hours access to a piece of equipment!!

We are able to offer the student fast access to state-of-the-art
facilities for experimental phonetics and welcome not only
students who wish to visit to read one of our courses, but also
those who wish to undertake the pratical parts of a degree paper
they are writing for their home university.  Naturally if a
student wishes to write the entire paper here we would be able to
accommodate them. We are able to offer supervision to short and
longer term students.

If you are a student looking for somewhere to do that practical
task you are interested in, but your home institute doesn't have
the facilities, may be we do so contact us on
{anderse,bannert,czigler,kirk,stranger}@ling.umu.se

If you are a researcher aware of a student interested in
practical experimental phonetics who needs good access to
equipment may be we are the solution!

If you are a researcher looking for a well-equipped friendly lab
to spend some time researching away from your students contact us
to see if we have the facilities you require. As a guest
reseacher you will also have an office which you may have to
share with another guest researcher.  The office of course has an
internet connected computer.

We also offer a course in (Practical) Experimental Phonetics at
an advanced undergraduate level during the autumn term each year
which is given in English. If you have/are an interested student
please contact us.

Phonetics,
Umea University
S-901 87 Umea