7.1391, Qs: Borgesian joke?, Lx & lit course, Short of(on, by, etc.)

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Tue Oct 8 06:38:21 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1391. Tue Oct 8 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  195

Subject: 7.1391, Qs: Borgesian joke?, Lx & lit course, Short of(on, by, etc.)

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Sun, 06 Oct 1996 10:47:00 +0900
From:  PXX06625 at niftyserve.or.jp ("PXX06625 at niftyse")
Subject:  Borgesian Joke?

2)
Date:  Sun, 06 Oct 1996 21:02:14 EDT
From:  jorge2+ at pitt.edu (Jorge N Guitart)
Subject:  linguistics & literature course

3)
Date:  Sun, 06 Oct 1996 17:52:07 +0200
From:  hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp (hiro-t)
Subject:  Query: _short of, on, by, etc._

Date:  Sun, 06 Oct 1996 10:47:00 +0900
From:  PXX06625 at niftyserve.or.jp ("PXX06625 at niftyse")

Re: A Borgesian joke?

On page 103 of the  _Other Inquisitions_
by J. L. Borges (1899-1986), I have found a vague
reference to some work by Franz Kuhn commenting
on a funny classification of animals by a Chinese
encyclopedia entitled
_Celestial Emporium of Benevolent Knowledge_:

>> ... animals are divided into:

(a) those that belong to the Emperor,
(b) embalmed ones,
(c) those that are trained,
(d) suckling pigs,
(e) mermaids,
(f) fabulous ones,
(g) stray dogs,
(h) those that are included in this classification,
(i) those that tremble as if they were mad,
(j) innumerable ones,
(k) those drawn with a very fine camel brush,
(l) others,
(m) those that have just broken a flower vase,
(n) those that resemble flies from a distance. <<

As I have been working on a study of parts of speech
classifications for a while, I can really appreciate
the elaborate humor of this passage and I would
like to refer to it in a future publication.
However, I am unable to identify the Chinese
encyclopedia (or the work by Franz Kuhn) Borges
was referring to. Could you, please, help me find
some lead to the original?

Also, those colleagues who are interested in
exchanging bibliographical data (and ideas)
on categorization, on the principles of
classification, as well as those with an interest
in part-of-speech theory, please, contact me directly.

Thanks in advance,

Laszlo

Ref.:

BORGES, Jorge Luis 1964. Other Inquisitions.
    1937-1952. tr. by Ruth L.C. Simms
    [Otros inquisiciones]
    Austin: University of Texas Press

KUHN, Franz Walter (1884-1961)