7.1421, Qs: Lg of instruction, Polarity, Character representation

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 11 22:38:43 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1421. Fri Oct 11 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  187

Subject: 7.1421, Qs: Lg of instruction, Polarity, Character representation

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:44:06 +1000
From:  peterw at lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Peter White)
Subject:  Choosing a lg of instruction in a multilingual environment

2)
Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:29:16 +0900
From:  akikoy at center.osaka-gu.ac.jp
Subject:  Qs: polarity

3)
Date:  Thu, 10 Oct 1996 23:32:31 EDT
From:  lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)
Subject:  Character representation

Date:  Fri, 11 Oct 1996 09:44:06 +1000
From:  peterw at lingua.cltr.uq.OZ.AU (Peter White)

Here's a request from a colleague in South Africa.  If you can offer
some assistance, please email directly to him on the address below.

Peter White

Dear Colleague/s

I am a project manager at the Centre for Courseware Design and
Development at the Technikon SA (South Africa) and am currently doing
a masters degree on"'stylistic considerations in writing, editing and
translating interactive courseware for distance education in a
multicultural, multilingual environment."  Please visit our homepage
at http://www.trsa.ac.za/ccdd/ccdd.htm/ for more info on the Centre.

In designing courseware for our students, we have a twofold dilemma:

1. Although our main language of instruction is English, the majority
of our students speak/read/write English as their second or even third
language. (We have eleven official languages is SA.)

2. Typically, as a result of South Africa's (unfortunate) historical
policy of 'separate development', there is also a significant
difference in the basic educational level of students from
(previously) black communities (who generally speak/read/write English
as second or third language) and that of white students (who generally
speak/read/write English as first language).

My research aims at finding solutions to the dilemma of writing and
designing distance education courseware for students from such
 widely diverging backgrounds.

One of the main problems is to pitch the language at a level that will
be readily accessible to all students, without oversimplifying it in
the case of the first language speaker, and without compromising the
content level and educational standards in an attempt to make the
contents accessible to all students.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could point me to literature,
dissertations, articles, institutions, etc. dealing with this
problem. Personal comments will be most welcome, although I would not
like to take up to much of your time -- I appreciate that you have a
very busy schedule.

 I realise of course that I have greatly oversimplified the problem
here, and that one would have to look at different
solutions/techniques to solve different aspects of the problem -- the
idea, however, was merely give a broad indication of my research.

Thanking you in anticipation for your contributions

Sincerely

Jan Steenekamp
Project Manager: CCDD
jsteenek at tsamail.trsa.ac.za