7.1461, Qs: Etymological dict, German, Spectrographic analysis

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Oct 17 18:39:09 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1461. Thu Oct 17 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.1461, Qs: Etymological dict, German, Spectrographic analysis

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:19:35 MDT
From:  j-mitchell at tamu.edu (Larry Mitchell)
Subject:  etymological dict. of English in progress

2)
Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:38:00 PDT
From:  tlander at cse.ogi.edu (Terri Lander)
Subject:   German pronunciation

3)
Date:  Thu, 17 Oct 1996 03:29:27 EDT
From:  Nancyhild at aol.com
Subject:  Query about spectrograph-generating software

Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:19:35 MDT
From:  j-mitchell at tamu.edu (Larry Mitchell)

For some years now, Anatoly Liberman (Minnesota,German Dept) and Larry
Mitchell (Texas A&M U, English Dept) have been working towards a new
etymological dictionary of English. The first fruits of this project
will be An Encyclopedic Dictionary of English Etymology: A
Bibliography (two volumes), which should be available by 1998-99. This
bibliography will contain information on the history of about 12,000
words, the first volume being the bibliography proper, and the second
a word list keyed against the titles featured in volume 1. There will
also be a third volume of sample entries for 50 words. One of these
entries, for STRUMPET, is now available at:

 http://engserve.tamu.edu/pers/fac/mitchell/strumpet.html

and, as we move into the monumental task of compiling entries,we would
appreciate ANY FEEDBACK readers can offer about any aspect of the
entry (format, readability,accuracy of info, comprehensiveness, etc.)

Comments can be sent by e-mail to j-mitchell at tamu.edu or to

Larry Mitchell                 or Anatoly Liberman
Dept of English                 Dept of German
Texas A&M University            University of Minnesota
College Station                 205 Folwell Hall
TX 77843-4227                   9 Pleasant Street
TX  77843-4227                  Minneapolis, MN 55455-0124

Tel: 409-845-3890               Tel: 612-625-2080