7.1515, Qs: Statistics on neologisms, Spanish grammar

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Oct 27 18:51:20 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1515. Sun Oct 27 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  98

Subject: 7.1515, Qs: Statistics on neologisms, Spanish grammar

Associate Editors: Ljuba Veselinova <lveselin at emunix.emich.edu>
                   Ann Dizdar <dizdar at tam2000.tamu.edu>
Assistant Editor:  Sue Robinson <robinson at emunix.emich.edu>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <rreck at emunix.emich.edu>

Editor for this issue: robinson at emunix.emich.edu (Susan Robinson)

Date:  Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:45:13 MDT
From:  mmisanch at acs.ucalgary.ca ("Melanie Misanchuk")
Subject:  statistics on neologisms

2)
Date:  Fri, 25 Oct 1996 11:42:00 EDT
From:  TJones at dataware.com (Trey Jones)
Subject:  Spanish Grammar Book

Date:  Thu, 24 Oct 1996 15:45:13 MDT
From:  mmisanch at acs.ucalgary.ca ("Melanie Misanchuk")

Dear linguists,

As part of my Masters thesis on anglicisms in the French press, I am
analysing the grammatical categories of borrowed English words in
French.  The classic breakdown of grammatical categories for all the
French studies on anglicisms that I've encountered is 80-90% nouns,
5-10% adjectives and adverbs, 10-15% verbs, and 2-5% "other."

For a number of months, I have been looking for studies of other
languages which show similar grammatical breakdowns and, more
importantly, examples of breakdowns for plain old neologisms.  I have
found nothing on this topic.  If any of you know of articles/books
(not too detailed; I just want to compare the statistics of borrowings
to that of neologisms) in English, French, German, Spanish, Polish, or
Portugeuse (I don't speak all these languages, but I have lots of
friends!), I would much appreciate the references.

Thank you very much for your help.

Melanie

Melanie Misanchuk

Dept. of French Italian and Spanish