7.1267, Qs: Passive expletive, Text corpora, Gay/lesbian data

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 12 15:14:23 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1267. Thu Sep 12 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  119

Subject: 7.1267, Qs: Passive expletive, Text corpora, Gay/lesbian data

Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:30:42 EDT
From:  yjang at husc.harvard.edu (Youngjun Jang)
Subject:  Passive Expletive Constructions

2)
Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 16:53:00 MDT
From:  lenz at mx300e.ids-mannheim.de
Subject:  Free text corpora

3)
Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 14:01:44 PDT
From:  motohash at students.uiuc.edu (Motohashi Rieko)
Subject:  gay/lesbian data search

Date:  Wed, 11 Sep 1996 09:30:42 EDT
From:  yjang at husc.harvard.edu (Youngjun Jang)

Dear linguists,
I am collecting data about passive expletive constructions like (1) in
languages other than English/Icelandic/Scandinavian.

(1) a. *There has a book  been        put on the table.
    b.  There has         been a book put on the table.
    c. *There has         been        put a book on the table.

Is there anyone who knows some languages which behaves exactly like
English? If there is enough response, I will post the summary on the list.
Thanks.

Youngjun Jang
yjang at fas.harvard.edu

Dept of Linguistics