7.1354, Qs: Lg&statehood for Puerto Rico, Minimalist Program, Spanish

The Linguist List linguist at tam2000.tamu.edu
Sun Sep 29 16:53:47 UTC 1996

LINGUIST List:  Vol-7-1354. Sun Sep 29 1996. ISSN: 1068-4875. Lines:  178

Subject: 7.1354, Qs: Lg&statehood for Puerto Rico, Minimalist Program, Spanish

Editor for this issue: lveselin at emunix.emich.edu (Ljuba Veselinova)

Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:32:36 EDT
From:  JO_VELEZ at UPR1.UPR.CLU.EDU
Subject:  Language and statehood for Puerto Rico

2)
Date:  Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:03:30 PDT
From:  a961702m at eds.ecip.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Subject:  Minimalist Program

3)
Date:  Sun, 29 Sep 1996 11:03:30 PDT
From:  kliffer at mcmaster.ca ("Michael D. Kliffer")
Subject:  Spanish clitic reduplication

Date:  Fri, 27 Sep 1996 13:32:36 EDT
From:  JO_VELEZ at UPR1.UPR.CLU.EDU

Dear colleagues:

I am writing a paper on the issue of language and statehood for the
 Commonwealthof Puerto Rico.  The following questions are for readers of the
 LINGUIST who
are interested in language policy issues and the English-only movement.

	1-  Do you think it is possible for Puerto Rico to be admitted as a
	state of the union while keeping Spanish as an official language to
	be used in the public school system, the state legislature, and state
	courts?  Would Congress and U.S. public opinion be willing to support
	such an initiative?  Are there any specific legal impediments to
	Puerto Rico being admitted on these terms?

	2-  If Puerto Rico were indeed admitted with Spanish as an official
	language, what do you think would happen to Spanish?  Would it be
	retained as the dominant local language, or would language shift
	into English eventually take place?  What role would English have
	to play in the state of Puerto Rico?

These are all very hot and current issues on the island today.  It is very
important for me to have input from professionals involved in language related
fields.  Responses to any of these questions by LINGUIST recipients will be
very much appreciated.  A summary will be posted at a future date.

Jorge A. Velez
English Department
University of Puerto Rico, Bayamon
jo_velez at upr1.upr.clu.edu