8.1131, Qs: Polarity, Portuguese, Computational

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 4 01:04:00 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1131. Sun Aug 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1131, Qs: Polarity, Portuguese, Computational

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:09:34 -0500
From:  israel at ling.ucsd.edu (Michael Israel)
Subject:   Polarity Items around the World

2)
Date:  Sat, 02 Aug 97 14:16:03
From:  mgdorey at ibm.net
Subject:  NON-SEXIST LANGUAGE GUIDELINES - PORTUGUESE

3)
Date:  Sun, 03 Aug 1997 08:16:35 +0300
From:  EL-KAREH/THARWAT <aastf030 at aa.aast.egnet.net>
Subject:  ssearch for material

Date:  Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:09:34 -0500
From:  israel at ling.ucsd.edu (Michael Israel)

It has come to my attention that different, and sometimes entirely
unrelated languages sometimes have strikingly similar idiomatic
expressions.

The example I have been most struck by is the polarity sensitive
expression "to lift a finger" as in

        1.  She wouldn't lift a finger to help her own sister.

I am aware of parallel idiomatic expressions with roughly the same
meaning and the same polarity sensitivity in French, Catalan, Dutch,
German, Norwegian and Korean.

Can anyone out there supply me with examples from other languages
(particularly non-European languages) of similar expressions. Note
that in order for an expression to qualify, it has to be both
idiomatic and polarity sensitive.  In other words, the equivalent of
sentence 2 has to sound either ungrammatical or distinctly jocular:

        2.  *She would lift a finger to help her own sister.

If you're really nice, could you provide translations and glosses of
each of the sentences along with the example?

And if you're really nice and find it interesting, maybe you'll know other
languages with polarity sensitive idioms like

"bat an eyelash"  as in

        3. He didn't bat an eyelash.
        4. *He batted an eyelash.

or "breathe a word" (or something similar) as in

        5.  I won't  breathe a word about this to the students.
        6.  *I will breathe a word about this to the students.

Many thanks in advance for the many responses I'm sure will be pouring
in.  Naturally, I will post a summary of all I receive.

Michael Israel
misrael at ucsd.edu