8.1780, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Dec 15 02:00:22 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1780. Mon Dec 15 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1780, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:56:40 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 8.1768, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:           Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:31:32 MDT
From:  "Stephen DeGiulio" <DEGIULIO at nmsua.nmsu.edu>
Subject:        Re: 8.1764, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:40:11 +0000
From:  Dick Hudson <dick at linguistics.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject:  prescriptivism

4)
Date:  Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:04:46 +0100
From:  Thomas Egan <Thomas.Egan at luh.hihm.no>
Subject:  Disc:Prescriptivism

Date:  Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:56:40 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

We won't get very far if everybody accuses everybody else of missing
the point.  There may be more than one point.  In fact, I was trying
to distinguish two points myself.  (1) I think we must concede that,
if someone is willing to prescribe some kind of behavior or proscribe
some other kind and admit that that there is basis for the rulings
that is they are purely conventional, then no descriptive scientist
(linguist, psychologist, anthropologist, geneticist) can "refute" that
person's position.

(Note, this situation may not be purely theoretical.  For example,
whoever designed teh Morse code (was it Morse?)  was presumably in
exactly this position.)

(2) The vast majority of prescriptivist assertions whether in the case
of language or other aspects of human behavior usually are NOT stated
as pure convention; they are usually accompanied by elaborate
justifications which contain claims of facts--and these CAN be refuted
by scientists (and in fact usually have to be, since they usually are
false or else circular).

There are, hovwever, still other points.

(3) Given that human beings are learning and social animals, it
probably is part of our nature to expect there to be certain norms of
behavior, hence prescription perhaps cannot be eliminated.  I have not
worked out where this leads; in fact, I am afraid to.

(4) It might be that certain aspects of prescriptivism do have some
real basis.  I have over the years collected some examples that seem
to suggest this.  For example, it is a well-known fact that in many
European languages constructions like 'Having read the Joy of Cooking,
it was easy for him to make a perfect souffle' are (a) commonly used
and (b) condemend as incorrect by the prescriptivsists.  Now, since
the grammarians and mavens of European languages are all connected,
this is not necessarily remarkable.  However, whenwe find that such
constructions were common in Sanskrit but are not allowed by Panini's
grammar (Peter Hook wrote a paper on this some years ago), we might
well wonder if there is not something beyond mere arbitrary convention
in what teh rpescriptive grammairans teach (at least some times).
This would perhaps be similar to the idea which arose I think with
Noam Chomsky and has occaisonally been mentioned since that sometimes
some speakers may not be fully aware of what their own grammars
say. Or alternatively, we might say that some speakers do not learn
their native lg as well as others after all, and have no non-arbitrary
way of making sense of that notion by refernce to a suitable universal
theory of linguistic correctness, perhaps.  This too leads in
directions which are somewhat scary.  But possibly unavoidable.

I have thought about these things for a decade and have always been
somewhat scared to pursue them to the logical conclusion.  If anybody
thinks they make sense and would like to talk about them, drop me a
line.

AMR