8.165, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 4 15:17:19 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-165. Tue Feb 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.165, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 31 Jan 1997 01:07:36 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.134, Disc: BEV, tests, literacy

2)
Date:  Mon, 3 Feb 1997 10:48:25 -0500
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>
Subject:  Re: 8.150, Disc: Ebonics

3)
Date:  Sun, 2 Feb 1997 23:47:25 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  the WORD  Ebonics

Date:  Fri, 31 Jan 1997 01:07:36 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)

Ron Anderson's last message to the list made more sense than his earlier
one in terms of both substance and humility, and is worth pursuing since he
is willing to discuss, and I characterised his earlier message as part of
the whole problem.  So here's what his latest message suggests to me.

>I may be wrong on the why's and wherefore's, but the facts remain.

You can't ask for more as far as open-mindedness.  My criticism was
directed toward the why's and wherefore's.  Now let's look at the facts.

>Those who read in First Grade give future tense markers, those who
>don't read don't give future tense markers, typically.  I have been
>looking at student responses to the Idea Oral Language Proficiency
>Test for over 10 years, and this pattern is one of the best
>descriminators between readers and non-readers.  I can successfully
>predict reading levels based on response patterns to the test, as a
>general rule.

Fair enough.  It's an observation from a standardised test.  It doesn't
mean that students don't have future tense markers ("gonna"? or does it
have to be "will"?  Even so) -- or the conceptual apparatus which comes
with/before them.  It might just mean they don't know how to react to these
tests.  And that could be in the same cultural complex as "reading
readiness" as she is practiced in schools.  OK.  I won't quibble, but it is
worth considering, there is some literature behind this notion, and in my
own research on the difference between proficiency test taking and
spontaneous speech in the second language among bilinguals (which Anderson
also mentioned) I noted that proficiency tests and examination of
spontaneous speech lead to different conclusions about what a child does
and does not have.  "have" I said, not "*give* on tests".  Furthermore,
different English proficiency tests do not correspond to each other, and
that has long been a well recognised problem, and was special problem when
it was necessary to have an "objective" test to decide which children were
to be classified as LEP (limited English proficient) and qualified for LAU
remedies (ESL, bilingual education, whatever).  I hope I'm not talking too
much bureaucratese here.

The simple point is that the correlation may be just as Anderson says (I
have more ideas about this from my experience with ESL learners), but we'd
like to know the reasons behind it.  And I'll allow that that may not be
essential to education.  Maybe you don't have to know the reason to hit on
a remedy that works (such as teaching standard conjugation?), but let's at
least make sure we don't assume the wrong reasons, and underestimate what
the kid knows and would be confused and bored to be drilled in.
Waste our time, waste the kid's time.  Come out with nothing.

 Exceptions usually relate to those with educational
>"disadvantage", or with a yet to be diagnosed disability.  (I do see
>more than just future tense, there are other characteristics as well,
>e.g. an understanding of words which represent 'basic concepts" which
>relate to space and time).

The above comments still apply.  The field of testing continues to develop.
It took a while for the educational system to recognise pathological
disabilities as distinct from dialect differences and second language
patterns.  At one time, (and still in some places) they were all treated
the same way.  It didn't work.  So that's one thing for which "why's" and
"wherefore's" seem to be important.  (Clearly different pathologies also
require different pedagogical approaches, e.g., autism vs. a hearing or
vision disability.)  A BEV or Spanish speaking child could also have a
pathological disability, just like anyone else, so clearly it is important
to distinguish those who do from those who don't.  Once again, treating
non-middle class non-standard cultures as "pathological" was once a widely
accepted sociological and psychological view of the matter, and it didn't
help.  It didn't work.  And it couldn't if "pathological" really means
anything more than "wrong answer! you lose."

  It would appear that it is the
>relationship between Oral language and Written language that needs to
>be better understood, not necessarily the oral language acquisition
>process.

Yes.  There's a lot, but not total, agreement among scholars and
practitioners about this.
The problem comes out particularly in bilingualism where one very
influential theory (Cummins etc) says that literacy skills which are
distinct from oral skills should be developed in the first (stronger)
language first and once they are secure they can be automatically
transferred to the second language (even in the absence of oral skills in
the second language -- but that's another matter).  Those of us who studied
Latin or (ancient) Greek etc agree (and also some modern languages for
reading purposes).  But there are others who do not like this because it
might mean a longer period of development in literacy skills in, say,
Spanish before transfer to English.  It's more expensive (maybe that's the
most important thing, but it's not stated as the most important thing), and
the payoff isn't quickly obvious.

Kenji (NOT Benji) Hakuta, a bilingual educationalist at Stanford, once said
in a presentation he gave that he had to go to Washington to talk to some
congressional committee about transitional bilingual education.
        How long should the transitional program be maintained?
was the constant question they asked him.  He stumbled on, well, there are
different results from different experimental projects so ... but got
forced into saying something like "at least two years". "Two years!"
exclaimed one of the senators, "they oughta be able to do it in six months
max!"  Kenji's point was that's a mentality in congress, but after his talk
I asked Kenji "why didn't you ask him how long it took him to learn another
language?"  (But maybe I wouldn't have asked the congressman that either,
unless I had another congressman as a friend sitting next to him, or a
stiff drink before I went to testify.)

The theory I referred to above still insists, like Ron's spider metaphor,
if you transition them too soon you'll spoil the progress they've been
making in acquiring necessary literacy skills.  It's a "critical mass"
rather than a "critical age" hypothesis.  In view of Ron's spider tale
(anansi?) I wonder whether he has an opinion on this, since he also deals
with ESL kids.  But in any case, we're also talking about BEV, not another
"language" that has a literate variety (other than standard English of
various forms, Zora Neale Hurston notwithstanding -- uh too "country").

I think that it is with the 2 language students that this
>relationship could be clarified, as relative reading skill compared to
>relative speaking skill could be assessed in the same student in two
>languages.  This same kind of comparison is what I have been doing
>these past years.

Good.  What have you found?

Next, for purposes of education, how important are speaking skills compared
to reading skills, and what, in fact, is the relation between them?  I read
pretty good (= well), and I can write much better than this, and I even do
well on standardised tests (I know what "they" want and I know better than
to argue with "them"), but I talk like a "truck-driver" -- But I can fake
it if I have to.  (A coupla big words, but used "correctly"!)

>I look at both 2 language speakers and one language speakers, and the
>same pattern occurs.  The difference between the two groups is that
>the 2 language speakers more commonly have this problem.  It may be
>because I specialize in the assessment of 2-language children, or some
>other factor.  I know that the phenomenon exists. I would like to
>believe that I can guess the why, but I would certainly entertain any
>suggestions, and I would encourage a more formal study than mine with
>respect to this issue.

Very interesting and judicious.  With regard to spoken skills in English, I
found that for fifth graders of Spanish-speaking background, control of
"would" in hypotheticals was a very good indicator of general skills in
spoken English.  At this age, and in view of what they could do in Spanish,
there was no doubt that they had the conceptual ability to comprehend
questions like the English proficiency test one that goes  "what would the
king have done if the dog hadn't eaten his food?", but according to their
general level of fluency in English they would respond "he eat it", or "he
*will* eat it" or "he *would* (have) ate it" etc.  By the way, "I woulda
ate it" becomes dialectal, not degree of proficiency in non-standard
English.  Standard English is a slightly different matter, but, for
practical purposes, that brings us back to literacy skills.  In any case,
bilingualism and second language learning exemplifies the reality of the
distinction between speech production and underlying cognitive abilities.
We have less to go on with monolinguals, but we can't afford not to keep
the distinction in mind.

>Ya'll er tawk'n ta jes a gud 'ol cuntry bouey.  Ah bin lukin fur a
>breedge ta baah.  Ya gaught one tht goes ta Bruk-linn, Raht?

I forgot what this was supposed to be.  It's not BEV.  It's standard
English with odd spelling to indicate some kind of deep Southern
pronunciation, e.g., /ay/ monophthongised to "ah", -ing reduced to in',
etc.  The only unusual pronunciation is "breedge".  I don't know if that's
an actual dialectal form with tensing before palatals and velars, as in the
dialects that tense "egg" to "ague", "measure" to "may-zhure",  etc., or an
18-19th c stereotype of English as a second language (e.g., spoken by a
first generation African American.)

I recognised the content as a challenge to say something substantial to be
helpful to people like Ron who have a job to do, and who realise there are
limits to what is known to help them do it.  Their experience is valuable,
and sometimes they wonder about the connection of their work to the work of
people who criticise their work, make up their tests, etc.,  but are
removed from their situation.  So I tried to say something substantial, and
asked some questions for further discussion.  -- Benji