8.168, Sum: Appalachian English

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 4 17:47:34 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-168. Tue Feb 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.168, Sum: Appalachian English

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:52:14 -0500 (EST)
From:  Christen Marie Pearson <cpearson at indiana.edu>
Subject:  Sum: Appalachian English

Date:  Sun, 2 Feb 1997 19:52:14 -0500 (EST)
From:  Christen Marie Pearson <cpearson at indiana.edu>

Dear Linguists,

Here is the summary from the question I posed about 10 days ago.  I
was amazed at the number of people who responded to the request;
several people suggested certain researchers, who then themselves
contacted me.  I truly appreciate the time everyone took to help.  I
would like to acknowledge the following people:

Stefan Martin
Marc Picard
George Huttar
James Cornish
Tom McClive
Marion Kee
Tim Thornes
Ernest McCarus
Donna Christian
Paul Purdom
Peter Svenonius
James Fidelholtz
John Konopak
Mark Mandel
Michael Montgomery

The following resources were suggested:

Appalachian English by Donna Christian and Walt Wolfram
	Arlington/Wash., D.C.:  Center for Applied LInguistics  1976
	This was suggested by six different people.

The Oxford Companion to the English Language by McArthur

Some relationships between Appalachian language and culture and high
	school drop-out rates as found in two West Virginia counties.
	MA thesis University of Texas at Arlington, by Diana McLaughlin,
 	1984

Way with Words
	Shirley Brice Heath, Cambridge University Press
	(re: learning styles influenced by rearing practices)

River of Earth
	James Still
	(novel set in Appalachia, includes typical dialogue)

Monograph on Ozark and Appalachian English
	early 1980's, University of Alabama Press
	Walt Wolfram and Donna Christian

The Personal Dative in Appalachian Speech, in Dialects of English:
	Studies in Grammatical Variation, by Donna Christian, ed. by
	Peter Trudgill and J.K. Chambers, Longman, London and New York,
	p.11-19, 1991.

Towards a description of a-prefixing in Appalachian English, by Walt
	Wolfram, same source as above, pg. 229-240.

Foxfire series
	ed. by Elliot Wigginton

Dialects of English
	ed. Peter Trudgill and J. K. Chambers

Work in press by Michael Montgomery (University of South Carolina)
	Including a historical account and a dictionary
	Due to be published in 1998

Suggestion of contacting Ohio University:  Depts. of Linguistics,
	Geography, and Anthropology

Suggestion of searching under "Pittsburghese"

American Dialect Society
http://humanities.byu.edu/humstudents/lillie/ads/index.htm
ADS-L (their mail discussion list)
http://humanities.byu.edu/humstudents/lillie/ads/adsl.htm
To subscribe, send following as the complete body of an email message to:
listserv at uga.cc.uga.edu
	sub ADS-L Your Name
Questions about ADS-L
	maynor at ra.msstate.edu

Again, I would like to thank everyone for their help.  I should note
that works by Donna Christian, Walt Wolfram, and Michael Montgomery
were most frequently suggested.

Christen M. Pearson
cpearson at indiana.edu