8.204, Disc: The English Future

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 11 14:44:59 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-204. Tue Feb 11 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.204, Disc: The English Future

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:42:03 +1200
From:  RPetterson at ipc.ac.nz
Subject:  Re: 8.196, Disc: The English Future

2)
Date:  Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:15:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:  Steve Nicolle <s.nicolle at mdx.ac.uk>
Subject:  English future

3)
Date:  Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:29:18 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)

4)
Date:  Tue, 11 Feb 97 07:18:21 EST
From:  bvel11 at phoney.he.boeing.com (Leo Obrst)

Date:  Mon, 10 Feb 1997 10:42:03 +1200
From:  RPetterson at ipc.ac.nz

John Atkinson wrote:

>>P.S.  what does "shall" mean?   --  Benji
>
>Nothing.  It doesn't exist in my dialect.

But "shall" surely has a distinct meaning and existence in questions that
are offers, e.g.

Shall we get a drink?   (ie I will get us one if you want one - it is
interesting that we can use "will" in a similar sense in the affirmative
but not the interrogative...)

vs

Will we get a drink?    (ie what did they way about giving us one?)

Rob Petterson