8.2, Jobs: Lexicography, Iowa position revision

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 10 04:04:38 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-2. Thu Jan 9 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.2, Jobs: Lexicography, Iowa position revision

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 3 Jan 1997 13:00:57 -0800
From:  "Martin King" <mtk at wolfenet.com>
Subject:  Lexicography

2)
Date:  Tue, 7 Jan 1997 12:31:50 -0600 (CST)
From:  William Davies <wdavies at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject:  revised announcement for Iowa visiting position

Date:  Fri, 3 Jan 1997 13:00:57 -0800
From:  "Martin King" <mtk at wolfenet.com>

(This message has been posted to 9 language mailing lists;  We
apologize for any duplicates you may receive)

We are a small company in Seattle, WA (USA), with a software technology
which makes use of an internal dictionary.  In order for our technology to
be useful, the dictionary must be quite comprehensive.  It must include all
important word stems, their possible inflections, idiomatic and slang
terms, etc.  The dictionary must also include the relative frequency of use
for each of these objects within several chosen corpora.  Our experience
(with English) has been that no single source of linguistic data (e.g., a
published word list or dictionary) is sufficiently complete for this
purpose.  Rather, we anticipate a process which correlates numerous public
sources of linguistic data, and then further checks the result against the
lexicon found in several large corpora.

Over the next four months our company will be developing new dictionaries
for three languages: French, German, and Spanish.  From our experience with
English, we expect that each language data set will require between one and
two person-months to develop.  At a minimum, we are interested in locating
individuals who are very fluent in one of these languages (native speakers
would be ideal).  Ideally we'd like to locate individuals who are not only
fluent in one or more of these languages, but who also have a background in
computational linguistics and/or computer science.

We imagine that this work will proceed via help from several consultants
who contract either to provide us with the finished dictionaries, or to
assist us in developing them.  We would also like to consider working with
an academic researcher, since the technology we are working on is a novel
application of computational linguistics which might well lead to
publication.

If you are interested in helping us with this project, please contact:

Martin T. King                 MTK at JUSTTYPE.COM
Aiki, L.L.C.                     (206) 343 7001
P.O. 4680                       Fax:  343 7004
Seattle, WA  98104