8.1056, Qs: Idiom, not..until, E. Darwin

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 14 22:41:32 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1056. Mon Jul 14 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1056, Qs: Idiom, not..until, E. Darwin

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Assistant Editor:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:45:24 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Alan S. Kaye" <AKAYE at ccvax.fullerton.edu>
Subject:  Semantic Evolution of Idiom

2)
Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 1997 16:37:49 +0900
From:  "Hiroaki Tanaka" <hiro-t at ias.tokushima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Query: not...until/Until..., ...not

3)
Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 1997 12:24:22 GMT0BST
From:  "PAUL FOULKES" <lnppf at lucs-01.novell.leeds.ac.uk>
Subject:  Darwin's speech synthesiser

Date:  Mon, 14 Jul 1997 10:45:24 -0800 (PST)
From:  "Alan S. Kaye" <AKAYE at ccvax.fullerton.edu>

I am hoping that some linguist out there can offer an explanation
and/or parallel to the following hypothesis of mine:

There is a word in Egyptian Arabic which is unique to the Arabic
dialectological world.  Lit., 'in/on his earth land' and 'in/on your
earth/land'> 'also'.  Can this be traced through something like:

'on common ground'

The 'your' gets the addressee involved in the transition from 'his'.

This is puzzling.

I will post a summary if there are enough responses which are germane.
Thank you very much.  Please rsvp:
akaye at fullerton.edu

Alan Kaye
Linguistics