8.817, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 3 06:27:40 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-817. Tue Jun 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.817, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 11:33:31 -0500
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>
Subject:  Disc: Grammar in UK Schools

2)
Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 21:36:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.792, Disc: Grammar in UK Schools -- a response

3)
Date:           Fri, 30 May 1997 8:59:52 EST
From:  <MILLSC at UCENGLISH.MCM.UC.EDU>

Date:  Wed, 28 May 1997 11:33:31 -0500
From:  Marc Hamann <gmhamann at sickkids.on.ca>

I was disturbed to find some traditional fallacies in Geoffrey
Sampson's discussion of the teaching of grammar in schools.  Though I
no longer have a copy of Prof. Cameron's original post, I do recall
the essentials of it, and found that Mr. Sampson had passed over the
valid point it was making in favour of a prescriptivist, "back to
basics" defense of traditional grammatical education.

Prof. Cameron is perfectly correct in ridiculing the inflexible, rote
and prescriptive approach to grammar which is conventionally inflicted
on students throughout the English speaking world.  The issue of being
able to use Standard English (or perhaps _a_ standard English)
correctly is entirely separate from the reliance on traditional
"rules" which are frequently unhelpful, and often grossly inaccurate.
The rule regarding finishing sentences with prepositions, as one
glaring example, is a total misunderstanding of both the history of
English, and an unhelpful preoccupation for effective communication.

>strikes me as akin to suggesting that teachers of
>French should forget about teaching the past participle of "vivre" in
>favour of getting their pupils to develop considered opinions about
>the theories of Derrida.

Though Mr. Sampson has used an interesting rhetorical image here, it
is in fact a false analogy.  Teaching students to get a feel for the
function of grammar and language is a far cry from teaching them GB
theory or HPSG.  An understanding of how sentences, clauses, verb
tenses, adverbs, etc.  actually function on a basic level IS a very
reasonable educational goal, and far more worthy then just creating a
bunch of "Don't"'s and "Never"'s and calling that grammatical
education.

>Beyond that, though, teaching orthography and grammar at school level
>has a much broader educational value.  One of the lessons we all have
>to learn is that nothing big and worthwhile is ever achieved in this
>life without careful attention to endless tedious and often arbitrary
>details.

At the risk of making a gross national stereotype, I feel compelled to
quote George Bernard Shaw: "The British believe that they are moral
when they are merely uncomfortable."  This notion that education (or
work, for that matter) must be unpleasant to produce results is a
Puritanical relic.  In my personal experience, the very successful
people tend to be precisely the ones who know how to delegate, slough
off or avoid wasting time with "tedious and arbitrary details".
(Please read the preceding paragraph with the tongue planted in the
general vicinity of the cheek.)

In a spirit of greater seriousness though, I would like to second
Prof.  Cameron's call to educators to abandon prescriptive, rule-based
approaches to grammar, and embrace a more general approach based on a
comprehension of more fluid and meaningful principles.  I believe that
the result would be students with a BETTER grasp of the form and
function of language rather than a shallow and inflexible mastery of
facile rules.

- ---
Marc Hamann