8.818, Qs: Survey on Engl usage

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 3 06:33:48 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-818. Tue Jun 3 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.818, Qs: Survey on Engl usage

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 31 May 1997 10:34:43 +0900
From:  p086304 at inst.kobe-cufs.ac.jp (Junichi Murata)
Subject:  'I'd love to.' & 'lovely'

Date:  Sat, 31 May 1997 10:34:43 +0900
From:  p086304 at inst.kobe-cufs.ac.jp (Junichi Murata)

   According to many dictionaries and reference books published in
Japan, expressions like 'I'd love to' and 'That's lovery!' are
preferred by women.  This observation may be originated from Robin
Lakoff'(1975). However, I've noticed that those expressions are often
used by men these days. And as far as I know no dictionaries published
in Britain or America mention the sex difference or preference for
those expressions.
  Therefore, I suspect there is a change in the use of these
expressions or even that there has been no difference or preference in
the first place.  What I'd like the members of this linguist
society(?) to do is to answer the following questionnaire.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
- ------------
   Questionnaire :
    Please tick

          English variety: American English speaker [ ], British
English speaker [ ],
            Others [ ] ( Please describe what variety you speak.( ))

          Sex: Male [     ], Female [     ]

          Age: -20[ ], 20-30[ ], 30-40[ ], 40-50 [ ], 50-60[ ] , 60+[]

    Please read the following expressions and put into each
parenthesis the number
   1, if you think that the expression has been and still is preferred
by women.
   2, if you think that it used to be preferred by women but there is
no preference now (or there is less and less preference between the
sexes.)
   3, if you feel that there has been no preference as far as you know.

  Expressions:

   A. [ ] "I'd love to." (in response to "Would you like to come to
the party? ")

   B. [ ] "I'd love to." (in response to "Would you like to dance? ")

   C. [ ] I'd love to see you act Hamlet.

   D. [ ] I'd love you to come with us.

   E. [ ] What a lovely view!

   F. [ ] We've had a lovely dinner/time.

   G. [ ] It's lovely and warm in here.

   H. [ ] Isn't it a lovely day?

   If you have any comment, please write it below.

 Thank you for your cooperation.
Junichi Murata
Kobe City University of Foreign Studies