8.848, Qs: Afrikaans, Spanish in US, -gry-

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 10 05:49:54 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-848. Tue Jun 10 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.848, Qs: Afrikaans, Spanish in US, -gry-

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:43:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:  ferdinand de haan <fdehaan at unm.edu>
Subject:  Q: Afrikaans particle

2)
Date:  31 May 97 21:11:33 EDT
From:  "James W. Crawford" <73261.1120 at CompuServe.COM>
Subject:  The Future of Spanish in the USA

3)
Date:  Thu, 29 May 1997 10:09:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:  alan harris <vcspc005 at email.csun.edu>
Subject:  -gry- in English

Date:  Mon, 2 Jun 1997 11:43:18 -0600 (MDT)
From:  ferdinand de haan <fdehaan at unm.edu>

Dear linguists,

Could anyone tell me whether the Afrikaans particle "glo" can have an
evidential interpretation. I am referring to its use in the following
sentence:

Sy boeke was glo baie populer vroeer.	(diacritics omitted)

This sentence came from the USENET groep
soc.culture.south-africa.afrikaans. From the context (which I stupidly
neglected to write down) I inferred an evidential reading, but I want
to check it with naive speakers and experts. A grammar search
(Donaldson's) yielded no result.

Thank you very much,

Ferdinand

Ferdinand de Haan              Department of Linguistics
                               University of New Mexico
                               Albuquerque, NM 87131