8.318, Qs: Thursday, Members list, Zulu, ID Lang

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 4 05:47:29 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-318. Tue Mar 4 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.318, Qs: Thursday, Members list, Zulu, ID Lang

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:32:38 -0600 (CST)
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)
Subject:  R = Thursday (levity)

2)
Date:  Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:04:39 +0100
From:  Waruno Mahdi <mahdi at fhi-berlin.mpg.de>
Subject:  Query: members list

3)
Date:  Mon, 3 Mar 1997 14:48:02 +0000
From:  "Sibusisiwe Dube" <dubes at srv0.apl.ed.ac.uk>
Subject:  ZULU L2 RESEARCH

4)
Date:  Mon, 03 Mar 1997 22:24:28 -0800
From:  Pedro de Cuba <agatha at villagenet.com>
Subject:  ID Language.

Date:  Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:32:38 -0600 (CST)
From:  lhartman at siu.edu (Lee Hartman)

        Can anyone tell me if there is a language in which the word
for 'Thursday' begins with /r/?  Our university schedule abbreviates
the days of the week as "MTWRF" -- a novel solution to the problem of
Tuesday and Thursday beginning with the same letter.
        Maybe it's about time English adopted a loanword among
the days of the week.

Lee Hartman
Dept. of Foreign Languages
Southern Illinois University