8.348, Disc: Language and public behavior

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 11 14:55:43 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-348. Tue Mar 11 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.348, Disc: Language and public behavior

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:38:39 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Language and public behavior

2)
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:44:49 -0800 (PST)
From:  bwald at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU (benji wald)
Subject:  Re: 8.341, Disc: Lg and Public Behavior (was ebonics)

Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:38:39 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>

In LINGUIST 8.341, Elena Koutsomitopoulou writes:

	[...]
But to tell the whole story, being polite and not discriminating show in
several other (essential) ways and not really into smiling or keeping any
face of compassion. Besides, offering help is one of the very common
ways to take control over someone. What could really be helpful is the
expression of our real (positive or negative) feelings when confronted
with a disability. Above all, not all people are able to handle it......

<<<<

This makes sense to me, except for the second sentence. Is she
recommending NOT offering to help someone -- e.g., offering to hold a
door for a person in a wheelchair or on crutches -- because they might
feel you were trying to take control over them?

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
           Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/