8.349, Disc: Ebonics

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 11 15:17:24 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-349. Tue Mar 11 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.349, Disc: Ebonics

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: T. Daniel Seely <seely at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:51:57 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Ebonics

2)
Date:  Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:04:13 GMT
From:  DWILMSEN at acs.auc.eun.eg
Subject:  RE: 8.317, Disc: Ebonics

Date:  Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:51:57 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.calpoly.edu>

In view of recent comments on Ebonics, separatism, and disservice to
AA children in education, I'd like to cite the study reported in
Simpkins & Simpkins 1981. This study used a set of transitional
readers called Bridges. The children began their reading instruction
using readers written in AAVE, dealing with topics and story types
familiar to them from their community experiences (NOT Dick & Jane at
Grandma's farm).  They then moved on to readers written in a mix of
AAVE and standard English, and then to readers written exclusively in
standard E.

540 children, 530 of them AA, participated in the study, in several
cities across the country (27 classes). 417 of the students used the
Bridge readers and 123 stayed in the ordinary local remedial reading
program.  Results: in four months of instruction,Bridge children in
grades 7-12 made 6.2 months of reading proficiency gain as measured by
the standardized Iowa Test of Basic Skills in Reading, Level 12 Form
5. The children in the ordinary remedial program made an average gain
of 1.6 months of reading proficiency over the same four months of
instruction.

As the authors write, "the Bridge program attempts to start where the
students are and take them to where their teachers would like them to
be" (p. 231). It apparently was successful -- 417 students developed
skills in reading standard English through this program.

It seems to me that a program like this is (a) effective in teaching
children to read both their own dialect and standard English; (b)
equips them with the skills they need to succeed in standard English
reading; (c) does not serve to separate, but to assimilate AA children
into 'mainstream' society.

It is certainly worth repeating the study.

Interestingly, the Bridge readers were not adopted due to objections
of parents and school administrators. I don't know where they were
looking, because they weren't looking at the data. It seems downright
criminal that this approach was not further tested and explored -- how
many generations of children might have become fluent readers instead
of school failures if we had been using programs like this since
Simpkins & Simpkins?

Wm. Labov has a recent paper reviewing and critiquing Bridge. I
haven't had time to read the paper yet, but I refer those interested
to it. Labov is usually pretty savvy on these matters.

-Labov, William. 1995. Can reading failure be reversed? A linguistic
approach to the question. In V. Gadsden and D. Wagner (eds.), Literacy
Among African-American Youth. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.

The full Simpkins reference is:

-Simpkins, Gary A. and Charlesetta Simpkins. 1981. Cross cultural
approach to curriculum development. In Smitherman, Geneva, ed., Black
English and the education of Black children and youth: Proceedings of
a national invitational symposium on the King decision. Detroit:
Center for Black Studies, Wayne State University. Reports on the
Bridge readers experiment.

Johanna Rubba	Assistant Professor, Linguistics              ~
English Department, California Polytechnic State University   ~
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407                                     ~
Tel. (805)-756-2184  E-mail: jrubba at oboe.aix.calpoly.edu      ~