8.370, Qs: Frequency lowering, Dialectology, Wolio

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 17 06:19:02 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-370. Mon Mar 17 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.370, Qs: Frequency lowering, Dialectology, Wolio

                   Ann Dizdar <ann at linguistlist.org>
Technical Editor:  Ron Reck <ron at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Susan Robinson <sue at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 05:25:21 +0100 (MET)
From:  Martin Weikmann <weikmann at gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at>
Subject:  Frequency lowering in accents

2)
Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:02:03 -0500 (EST)
From:  T&FE1V1&C1&D2S0=0S7=60 <aa276988 at oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
Subject:  cross-dialectal prosodic features studies

3)
Date:  Tue, 11 Mar 1997 13:26:36 +0800
From:  alanden at uniwa.uwa.edu.au (Alan Dench)
Subject:  Q: Wolio - S.E. Sulawesi

Date:  Mon, 10 Mar 1997 05:25:21 +0100 (MET)
From:  Martin Weikmann <weikmann at gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at>

Dear list members!

Last week we discussed in our class about different forms of accents and
stress. So it seems natural, that increase in intensity and length will be
possible tools of generating a word accent.
As for the voice - base frequency, the natural way is to raise the
frequency to obtain accent. This seems again natural, since increase of
subglottql pressure correlates with intensity and will automatically
result in increase of frequency.
But, there are languages (e.g. swiss german, danisch), where the opposite
is the case, the accent is marked by lowerng of the basic frequency. So
this is surely the marked case in contrast to the raise of the basic
frequency, which may be seen as the natural case.

My questions are now:
1.) Are there any other languages showing this (or similar) phenomena?
2.) Are there any theories explaining this phenomena, especially
    diachronic generation of this?

Thanks in advance

Martin Weikmann
weikmann at gewi.kfunigraz.ac.at