8.1640, Qs: Thai sociolinguistics

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 16 23:46:30 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1640. Sun Nov 16 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1640, Qs: Thai sociolinguistics

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:39:20 +0700
From:  Graeme Storer <storer at mozart.inet.co.th>
Subject:  men who sex work

Date:  Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:39:20 +0700
From:  Graeme Storer <storer at mozart.inet.co.th>

I am a doctoral student in the Department of Linguistics at Macquarie
University, Australia.   My dissertation is concerned with the
interactions among Thai male bar workers, their clients and the managers
of the bars in which the men work.  More specifically, what are the
critical moments in the interactions between the workers, customers and
bar managers and how are these discursively resolved?

Male sex work, as it occurs in the four major cities of Thailand,
provides an interesting context for study if we distinguish the bars
found in mainly tourist areas from 'local' bars. Customers in the
tourist bars are both Thai and non-Thai. This provides a complication
for the workers who may be called on to interact in either their first
language or a second language (usually English).

It is my intention that the research should contribute to the promotion
of safer sex among homosexually active men and to an understanding of
how gender and (homo-) sexuality are performed.

I would like to talk with researchers whose field of study is Thai
linguistics and who would be able to comment on my reading of interview
transcripts.

I would also like to hear about socio-linguistic studies concerned with
male-male sex behaviours and/or men who sell sex to men.

Please reply directly to Graeme Storer
storer at mozart.inet.co.th

Thank you.