8.1688, Sum: Serbian and Croatian Fonts

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 25 00:55:56 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1688. Tue Nov 25 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1688, Sum: Serbian and Croatian Fonts

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:15:32 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Summ: Serbian and Croatian fonts

2)
Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:26:24 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>
Subject:   Summ (addendum): Serbian and Croatian parallel fonts

Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 17:15:32 -0500
From:  Mark Mandel <Mark at dragonsys.com>

    Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 17:04:54 -0500

    Can anyone point me to fonts (for Windows) in Serbian and
    Croatian that use corresponding character mappings, so that
    any text in one script will be appropriately displayed in the
    other language simply by switching fonts? The closest match I
    know of still has two characters mismatched.

Here is the promised summary.

Michael Bernstein of Cascadilla Press <michael at cascadilla.com>
offered:

    If you'd like to send us the two fonts and a description of
    what change you'd like made, we should be able to create a new
    version of one of the fonts that has the characters in the
    right places.

    No guarantee -- some Windows fonts are basically impossible to
    work with. Also, hinting is lost when we modify fonts, which
    means the on-screen version may not be as easy to read (though
    printed output should be fine), and sometimes line spacing is
    changed.  However, we can give it a shot, and if you like the
    results, the cost would be reasonable.

Peter T. Daniels <grammatim at worldnet.att.net> suggested:

    As always, try Ecological Linguistics--he has umpteen cyrillic
    fonts with accompanying automatic transliteration into roman
    fonts. <ecoling at aol.com>

And that "he" -- Lloyd Anderson of Ecological Linguistics
<ECOLING at aol.com> -- wrote:

    For your Croatian-Serbian interconversions, do you want
    compatibility with all applications (so within 8-bit fonts,
    and usable by Windows 3.1).  Or do you want permanent validity
    of stored data (so must be in 16-bit fonts, Windows 95 not
    Windows 3.1, only newest application software versions).

    Within either Windows 3.1 or 95 constraints, we can provide
    what you ask for by mid-December, almost perfectly.  But there
    will be two limitations. You must code the data as Serbian,
    not as Croatian (single codes for Latin digraphs). You must
    accept that the uppercase equivalent of certain Serbian
    capital letters which in Latin are Digraphs must have EITHER
    all-caps OR initial-caps. There are THREE case versions for
    digraphs, not merely two. We can of course provide two
    different font sets, one of which does this one way, one the
    other way.

    In case you are willing to go with Windows95 and newer
    applications, you should first take a look at Window
    Multilanguage Support.  See appended notes from Ecological
    Linguistics.

    For permanent usability of the coded data you create, it is
    preferable to use the Unicode = ISO 10646 codings, if they
    cover what you need.  Such data will be universally usable
    into the future for many decades.  That you do by using
    Multilanguage Support, and fonts made to work with it.

        [much detail deleted]

        [and later:]

    Mark, I think I have to change part of what I told you.  We
    could I believe also provide a Cyrillic font covering the
    Serbian transliteration of Croatian, but coded as the Latin
    Croatian instead.  This would be a superior solution for
    automatic transliteration, since the special three-form
    uppercasing problem has appropriate separate codes in Latin,
    but not in Cyrillic (there are special codes for Lj, LJ, lj as
    units, for example).

Milos Rancic <millosh at galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> very kindly sent me
several fonts and advice about programs to use.

And after all that, a short deadline pressed us into using a
software solution instead, writing code that would translate
between code tables for Serbian and Croatian. (Sigh.)

My thanks to all.

       Mark A. Mandel : Senior Linguist : mark at dragonsys.com
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/