8.1690, Qs: Textbooks, Secret Langs, LSA Outreach, Polish

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 25 03:01:38 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1690. Tue Nov 25 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1690, Qs: Textbooks, Secret Langs, LSA Outreach, Polish

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:16:49 +0900
From:  Birgit Kellner <kellner at ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp>
Subject:  Q: foreign-language textbooks for exam-preparation

2)
Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 13:18:30 -0000
From:  "Muhammed Suleiman" <xtr08 at dial.pipex.com>
Subject:  Re: SECRET LANGUAGES

3)
Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:53:36 -0500 (EST)
From:  Nancy De Pas <linguist at email.gc.cuny.edu>
Subject:  Help the LSA Outreach Program

4)
Date:  Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:01:48 -0000
From:  COYLE PHILIP PATRICK <9709568 at student.ul.ie>
Subject:  Wordlists

Date:  Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:16:49 +0900
From:  Birgit Kellner <kellner at ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp>

Dear Linguist-members,

I am currently busy studying for the Japanese Language Proficiency
Test.  For those who don't know it, this is the officially recognized
test for Japanese language ability, a written exam which texts
knowledge of grammar, Kanji, vocabulary and reading skills. As with
all these tests, a number of publishing firms release learning
materials, amongst which volumes and volumes containing short texts,
followed up by questions in order to test comprehension skills. Upon
going over those texts, I have noticed that probably 95% of them
reproduce, in a manner almost too straightforward to be true, pretty
much every imaginable clichee about (a) Japan, (b) foreigners in
Japan, (c) Japanese people and, in particular, (d) the uniqueness of
Japanese "culture". The most outstanding example I came across dealt
with court trials. The text goes roughly like this: "Japanese people
generally refrain from taking problematic issues to court, because
they fear that a court trial will damage human relations. European and
Americans, on the other hand, go to court quite often, basically
thinking that war is war. This difference in culture can be explained
through a difference in customs and behaviour, which, in turn, can be
explained through a difference in climate." I hope this illustrates
why I have come up with the following question:

Are there any - presumably socio-linguistic - studies on the way in
which countries or cultures are represented in textbooks addressed to
foreigners learning the respective language in order to pass an
officially recognized exam? In particular, I would be interested in
comparative studies, say, a comparison between textbooks for TOEFL and
textbooks for the German "Zertifikat fuer Deutsch als Fremdsprache",
or similar tests. It seems to me that such textbooks are much more
telling for the official take a country has on the way in which
foreigners are supposed to learn its language than just textbooks in
general, because, being instrumental in the preparation for OFFICIAL
exams, they are presumably subject to tighter government control - or
are they?

Any hints or comments (including illustrative examples like the one
quoted above) will be appreciated, I shall post a summary in due
course.

-
Birgit Kellner
Department for Indian Philosophy