8.1390, Sum: Spanish Corpora

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 30 04:32:26 UTC 1997

LINGUIST List:  Vol-8-1390. Tue Sep 30 1997. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 8.1390, Sum: Spanish Corpora

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:13:46 +0100
From:  nick caffrey <ncaffrey at tcd.ie>
Subject:  Spanish Corpora

Date:  Mon, 29 Sep 1997 16:13:46 +0100
From:  nick caffrey <ncaffrey at tcd.ie>

I should like to thank everyone who responded to my request for
details of online Spanish corpora. They were

Sue Gass at Michigan State U
Alice Carlberger
Fernando Sanchez Leon, Laboratorio de Linguistica Informatica
Dave Eddington at Mississippi State U
Joseph Hilferty at Universitat de Barcelona
Mark Mandel at dragonsys.com
Francisco A. Marcos_Marin at the U. Autonoma de Madrid
Lee Hartman at Southern Illinois U
Gerrardo Arrarte at the Cervantes Institute
Raphael Salkie at the U of Brighton
Carlos Subirats at Infoling-L
Jose L. Rodrigo at U Blaise Pascal, Clermont-Ferrand
Erik Oltmans U of Nijmegen

and not forgetting, at home: Breffni O'Rourke and Carl Vogel both of
Trinity College, Dublin for tech. assistance and general
encouragement.

So far, the sites that have proven to be of use are as follows
ftp.uba.ar/pub/misc/corpus [oral castilian - non-technical]
Elsnet  [oral and written castilian - non technical]
ftp://de.relator.research.org/relator
ftp://ftp.ucm.es/Spanish [Child language]

After that it seems that CDs of the output of national newspapers are
the only other source although Raphael Salkie of the Language Centre
tells me that Professor Barry Ife at King;s College is working on a
corpus. I haven't contacted him as yet as there is no e-mail that I
can find (and I've been a little occupied!)

Many thanks to all who replied, apologies to those I left out. If
anyone has any more ideas, I'd be more than grateful.

Nick Caffrey
Centre for Language and Communication Studies
Arts Block
Trinity College
Dublin
Ireland