9.546, FYI: Help, Summer class, Indic-Brahmi Scripts

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 9 16:55:48 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-546. Thu Apr 9 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.546, FYI: Help, Summer class, Indic-Brahmi Scripts

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:59:27 +0300
From:  "Radu Daniliuc" <srdan at assist.cccis.ro>
Subject:  ELC: HELP request

2)
Date:  Wed, 08 Apr 1998 15:03:44 -0500
From:  Mark Davies <mdavies at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Subject:  Summer 1998 class: "Foreign Language Resources on the Internet"

3)
Date:  Wed, 8 Apr 1998 17:17:57 -0400
From:  "golshani" <golshani at dclink.com>
Subject:  Indic-Brahmi-descended scripts

Date:  Wed, 1 Apr 1998 21:59:27 +0300
From:  "Radu Daniliuc" <srdan at assist.cccis.ro>

ELC Romania

ELC posted a while ago the following message:

| English Linguists' Centre in Romania-help request!
|
| To:All the linguists (and everyone else) interested in promoting this
|	science in Romania.
|
| We are a group of linguists who want to open an English Linguist Centre in
| Romania.
| The English Language is very appreciated here, although there are voices
| who claims that Romania is more related to French. (no offense )
| So, our intention is to open an ENGLISH Linguist Centre whose main
| activity will be to provide information in this field of English Linguistics.
| The centre is destined especially to linguists, but we also want to give
| access to students, so that they benefit of materials that normally, at
| their universities are not accessible.
|
| Unfortunately, we need sponsorship for this centre. In our country we
| have not got very much, so we dare to ask for help at you, the linguists,
| as we think you will really understand our needs.
| If anybody can - and want to - help our English Centre to exist, with books
| and everything else you consider necessary for such a centre, please do not
| hesitate to do it. Do think that somewhere are people in the same field who
| need desperately your help.
| We thank you in advance and promise all our consideration for your help.
| Thank you,
| The (to be) English Linguist Centre
|
| Now,we would like to thank the following persons for their (promised) help:
| *Harold F. Schiffman
| *Chris Corne
| *Robin Thelwall
|
| We also expect other people to offer their help from now on.

Since then ELC has received support from some colleagues. Some of them are listed above, others -which refused to be named -
received our letters of acknowledgement.
Now ELC was promised a sponsorship, namely 4 computers Pentium 166MHz. The problem is that the company will deliver us the
computers only as an upgrade of some older systems, starting with 486/66MHz. If there is somebody that has such a system which s/he
finds useless and thinks s/he can dispose of it, please do think there is a place on earth where some colleagues really need it.

We thank you very much for reading our pleading.

ELC Romania

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
S[hared] R[adu] Dan[iliuc]
These are shared mailbox