9.614, Sum: Computer-Based Teaching Tools (Linguistics)

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 26 14:03:04 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-614. Sun Apr 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.614, Sum: Computer-Based Teaching Tools (Linguistics)

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "D. Andrews" <dandrews at u.washington.edu>
Subject:  Computer-Based Teaching Tools (Linguistics)

Date:  Fri, 24 Apr 1998 13:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:  "D. Andrews" <dandrews at u.washington.edu>

Thanks to all who sent me information about computer based linguistics
teaching tools.  The following people were very helpful: Suzanne
Kemmer, Michael Newman, John Lawler, and especially Mike Maxwell for
very detailed information!  I admit I haven't had time to check out
all the sites I"ll summarize below, but feel free to try them out!

	First of all, I was advised to post a query to a different
list, which I didn't know existed, called teach-ling.  To join, send a
message to

	teach-ling-request at qcvaxa.qc.edu	saying

	subscribe

and you'll be connected.

	Also mentioned was Michael Barlow's Hypercard stacks,
including subfields like phonetics, morphology, and historical
linguistics; downloadable for mac.  See

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~barlow.

Another good website was Suzanne Kemmer's,

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Words/info.html

which has some great information students would find
fascinating. Another morphology site with some fun stuff is

http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard/morph.html

The book "Using Computers in Linguistics: A practical guide" published
in 1998 by ROutledge is now out only in the UK, but all kinds of info
can be gleaned from the website

http://www.routledge.com/routledge/linguistics/using-comp.html

Lots of relevant info in ch 3,but I found the whole site informative.

	ALE (Attribute Logic Engine) is an integrated phrase structure
parsing and definite clause logic programming system.  It runs on some
arcane software, though.  Home page at

http://www.sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de/~gpenn/ale.html

Other relevant sites mentioned for ALE were

http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/projects/ledtools/ale-ra/ale-ra.html and
http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/projects/ledtools/ale-hpsg/index.html and
http://www.csli.stanford.edu/publications/attribute.html

	Sytnactica was also mentioned, published by MIT as an
interactive linguistics tool.  You can download a BETA version
(SYNTACTICA (WIN95) BETA-TEST PROGRAM) from

http://semlab2sbs.sunysb.edu/Users/rlarson/Syntactica/beta.html

	KIMMO in a morphological parsing program using unorderered
phonological rules, and AMPLE was described as more of a "programming
language view of morphology."  Both are available from sil
(http://www.sil.org) (Caution that both Kimmo and Ample lack user
interface systems -- although more user-friendly versions are thought
to be "out there."

	In the realm of field linguistics, Shoebox and LinguaLinks
were both mentioned, Shoebox being older, less sophisticated, and very
flexible; LinguaLinks is newer, has more built-in knowledge and
somewhat more confusing.  Both are available through the sil website.
LinguaLinks also has a phonology program, although a more powerful one
recommended was FindPhone, which runs on DOS, to help find phonemes in
a corpus.

Finally, I received several requests for publication info for the
program I mentioned -- Sounds of the World's Languages, from UCLA.  In
case there's anyone else who's interested, the relevant email address
for info seems to be Stephen Schuetze-Coburn at:
IZZYR88 at MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU (it was transfered to me with caps, but if
that doesn't work try without!)

Thanks so much to everyone who helped out.  I'll be looking through
this info for a while, hope others find this helpful too.

Donna