9.615, Qs: Part of Speech,Cluster Reduction,Scope,Metaphor

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Apr 26 14:31:23 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-615. Sun Apr 26 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.615, Qs: Part of Speech,Cluster Reduction,Scope,Metaphor

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:10:48 +0800 (SST)
From:  Ji Donghong <dhji at krdl.org.sg>
Subject:  What's behind Part-of-speech?

2)
Date:  Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:16:04 -0400
From:  MARC PICARD <picard at vax2.concordia.ca>
Subject:  Cluster Reduction

3)
Date:  Sat, 25 Apr 1998 23:30:46 +0900
From:  Eung-Cheon Hah <echeon at interpia.net>
Subject:  Scope

4)
Date:  Sat, 25 Apr 1998 12:08:23 +1200
From:  thomas.li at stonebow.otago.ac.nz (Thomas Li)
Subject:  Metaphor

Date:  Fri, 24 Apr 1998 17:10:48 +0800 (SST)
From:  Ji Donghong <dhji at krdl.org.sg>

In Chinese, there are fewer affixes for us to classfy words into
categories, e.g., nouns, verbs or adjectives, etc., so even up to now,
there has been no information about POS for Chinese words in the most
famous Chinese dictionary, i.e., Mordern Chinese Dictionary. Some
linguists proposed that Chiense words be classified as nouns, verbs,
adjectives, etc. completely based on their grammartical distribution,
which they refered to as their ability to combine with other words.
My questions are:

1) Can such grammartical distribution be solely used as a means to
     determine POS of words?

2) Are there any similar problems in other languages? and how to solve
     the problem there?

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated. I will
summarize if there is enough interest.

 Ji Donghong
 Kent Ridge Digital Labs
 Email: dhji at krdl.org.sg