9.1171, Sum: Phonological Clusters in Similar Words

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 21 01:04:11 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1171. Fri Aug 21 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1171, Sum: Phonological Clusters in Similar Words

Moderators: Anthony Rodrigues Aristar: Wayne State U. <aristar at linguistlist.org>

Review Editor: Andrew Carnie: U. of Arizona <carnie at linguistlist.org>

Editors:  	    Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:10:20 +0100
From:  Gareth Gaskell <gareth.gaskell at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk>
Subject:  Phonological Clusters of Semantically Similar Words

Date:  Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:10:20 +0100
From:  Gareth Gaskell <gareth.gaskell at mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk>

On 17th July I posted the following question to the linguist list:

There are fairly well known clusters of similar sounding words that
also mean similar things, such as glimmer, glisten and glint or
sneeze, snort and snore. Does anyone know of any work carried out on
these clusters? I would be particularly interested to find out about
research looking at the prevalence of these clusters in the lexicon,
or their effects on new word formation, but any references to
linguistic or psycholinguistic research would be most welcome.

This provoked an excellent response, thanks to the following people:

Robin Allott              <RMAllott at percep.demon.co.uk>
WEN-CHAO LI               <wenchao at usa.net>
Rachel Rowlands           <r.rowlands at ling.canterbury.ac.nz>
Conrad Charles Treff      <cctreff at students.wisc.edu>
Alan C. L. Yu             <charon at uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Nancy Frishberg           <nancyf at fishbird.com>
Dr. Rebecca Letterman     <bletter at sgi.net>
Monika Bruendl            <monika.bruendl at stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Daniel Currie Hall        <danhall at chass.utoronto.ca>
Keith GOERINGER           <keg at socrates.berkeley.edu>
John M. Lawler            <jlawler at umich.edu>
Philip Grew               <pgrew at compuserve.com>
ROBERT                    <BROCKRW at BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>
Jack Quintero             <jackquin at earthlink.net>
C. Walter                 <cw203 at hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Margaret Magnus           <mmagnus at conknet.com>

Philip Grew has already posted a valuable reply to this question
(Linguist 9.1106), so I shall try to avoid overlap with his posting in
my summary.

Conrad Treff provided a review of the various names for this and
related phenomena: phonosymbolism, phonosemantics, sound symbolism,
iconicity and phonaesthesia all provide useful search terms for a
literature search.

Six people pointed me towards the excellent website devoted to sound
symbolism--Margo's magical letter page--which contains a number of
useful resources and links:

http://www.conknet.com/~mmagnus/

Philip Grew also noted the sound symbolism discussion list:

Send email to <Majordomo at list.pitt.edu> with the following

	subscribe soundsymbol

Other useful references are:

http://www.percep.demon.co.uk/pfol4th.htm#rel [and other papers on
Robin Allot's web site]

Bolinger, D. Forms of English: Accent, Morpheme, Order (Harvard
University Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1965)

Hinton, L et al (Eds). Sound Symbolism (1994).

Jakobson, R. & Waugh, L.  The sound shape of language.

Lehrer, Adrienne (1996), "Why neologisms are important to study",
Lexicology Vol 2/1,63-73.

Waugh, Linda R. (1994), "Degrees of iconicity in the lexicon", Journal
of Pragmatics 22, 55-70

Waugh, Linda R. & Madeleine Newfield (1995), "Iconicity in the lexicon
and its relevance for a theory of morphology", in: Landsberg, Marge
E., ed. (1995), Syntactic iconicity and linguistic freezes. The human
dimension, Berlin - New York., 189-221.

Finally, John Lawler sent me a posting that he sent to sci.lang on the
subject. The remainder of this summary is his posting (slightly edited
to avoid duplications):