9.1694, Disc: UK National Literacy Strategy

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 2 08:44:25 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1694. Wed Dec 2 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1694, Disc: UK National Literacy Strategy

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:54:44 -0500 (EST)
From:  Carl.Mills at UC.Edu
Subject:  Re: 9.1693, Disc: UK National Literacy Strategy

2)
Date:  Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:54:06 +0100
From:  "Damon Allen Davison" <davison at uni-koeln.de>

3)
Date:  Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:51:38 GMT
From:  "A.F. GUPTA" <engafg at ARTS-01.NOVELL.LEEDS.AC.UK>
Subject:  Disc: National Literacy Strategy

Date:  Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:54:44 -0500 (EST)
From:  Carl.Mills at UC.Edu

Working in the USA, where the teaching of English structure in the
schools was abandoned long ago, I want to offer a strong second to
Geoffrey Sampson's argument that teaching any grammar is better than
teaching none.  It is difficult to say anything concrete about the
prose of university students when they don't know a preposition from
an infinitive.  Interestingly, Roz Gann, a doctoral student of mine
who teaches in one of our city's worst inner city schools, is finding
that kids, at least inner city kids, want to talk about language, want
to learn about language.  If adolescent gang members can be caused to
take an interest in the derivatinal morphology of the latinate portion
of the English lexicon, who knows what might happen?

Carl Mills
University of Cincinnati