9.1695, Qs: Existentials, Universal Grammar, Piraha Pronoun

LINGUIST Network linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 2 08:49:40 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-1695. Wed Dec 2 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.1695, Qs: Existentials, Universal Grammar, Piraha Pronoun

                      Chris Brown <chris at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 01 Dec 1998 11:14:29 +0100
From:  Christine Czinglar <Sissy at studbox.uni-stuttgart.de>
Subject:  Existentials in Scandinavian languages and German

2)
Date:  Tue, 1 Dec 1998 07:32:46 -0600 (CST)
From:  fallou ngom <ngom at students.uiuc.edu>
Subject:  Spiritual account of Universal Grammar

3)
Date:  Tue, 01 Dec 1998 15:59:18 +0000
From:  Dan Everett <dever at verb.linguist.pitt.edu>
Subject:  Borrowed Pronouns in Piraha

Date:  Tue, 01 Dec 1998 11:14:29 +0100
From:  Christine Czinglar <Sissy at studbox.uni-stuttgart.de>

I am interested in a special type of existential construction: one
that is purely existential, i.e. it doesn't have a locative (or
eventive) meaning. The German existential ES GIBT DP PP {"it gives")is
one such example: the locative PP can be omitted, and the location
denotes some kind of "habitat" for the object. The Danish existential
with DER FINDES ("there" plus the s-Passive of the Verb "find") is
another example.

I am looking for papers/manuscripts dealing with this kind of
existentials in Danish, Swedish ("finnas"), Icelandic ("finnast"), or
in any other language. If anyone knows of papers on German "es gibt"
or on Alemanic "es hat", I'd also be very grateful.

If I get enough feedback, I will post a summary with the information
received.

Thanks for any help.

Christine Czinglar
University of Vienna/University of Stuttgart
email: sissy at studbox.uni-stuttgart.de