9.188, FYI: NSF, WWW Semantic Net, Phonology Game, ETRW

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 7 19:43:10 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-188. Sat Feb 7 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.188, FYI: NSF, WWW Semantic Net, Phonology Game, ETRW

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 06 Feb 98 16:35:49 EST
From:  pchapin at nsf.gov
Subject:  Major new NSF funding initiative

2)
Date:  Sat, 07 Feb 1998 15:44:41 -0500
From:  Douglas Beeferman <Douglas_Beeferman at bobo.link.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject:  WWW Semantic Net Resource

3)
Date:  Fri, 6 Feb 1998 17:39:59 +0800
From:  "Sean Jensen" <seanj at seanj.demon.co.uk>
Subject:  The Phonology Game

4)
Date:  Thu, 05 Feb 1998 16:36:57 +0100 (MET)
From:  Helmer Strik <strik at let.kun.NL>
Subject:  ETRW 'Modeling pronunciation variation for ASR'

Date:  Fri, 06 Feb 98 16:35:49 EST
From:  pchapin at nsf.gov

The U.S. National Science Foundation has announced a new
multidisciplinary funding initiative in Knowledge and Distributed
Intelligence (KDI).  KDI includes a second competition for grants for
research in Learning and Intelligent Systems (LIS - an activity which
began in 1997), as well as other components.  NSF will award
approximately $50 million in 1998 under this initiative.  Letters of
intent to apply are due at NSF by April 1, and full proposals are due
by May 8.  Only researchers affiliated with U.S. institutions are
eligible to apply.

The full proposal solicitation for KDI is posted on the NSF Web site
at

     http://www.nsf.gov/kdi

A brief overview of the initiative appears below.

Paul Chapin, U.S. National Science Foundation
Knowledge and Distributed Intelligence (KDI)

The recent explosive growth in computer power and connectivity is
reshaping relationships among people and organizations, and
transforming the processes of discovery, learning, and communication.
As a result of the technological advances we have unprecedented
opportunities for providing rapid and efficient access to enormous
amounts of knowledge and information; for studying vastly more complex
systems than was hitherto possible; and for advancing in fundamental
ways our understanding of learning and intelligent behavior in living
and engineered systems.  NSF's Knowledge and Distributed Intelligence
(KDI) theme is a Foundation-wide effort to promote the realization of
these opportunities.

Three Foci for FY 1998: KN, LIS, and NCC

To achieve the aims of KDI, proposals are solicited from individuals
or groups for research that is inherently multidisciplinary or that,
while lying within a single discipline, has clear impact on at least
one other discipline.  In FY 1998, KDI will have three foci: Knowledge
Networking (KN); Learning and Intelligent Systems (LIS); and New
Computational Challenges (NCC).

Knowledge Networking (KN) focuses on the integration of knowledge from
different sources and domains across space and time. The goal of KN
research is to achieve new levels of knowledge integration,
information flow, and interactivity among people, organizations, and
communities, and to deepen our understanding of the ethical, legal,
and social implications of knowledge networking.

Learning and Intelligent Systems (LIS), an ongoing program, seeks to
stimulate multidisciplinary research that will unify experimentally
and theoretically derived concepts related to learning and intelligent
systems, and that will promote the use and development of information
technologies in learning and discovery across a wide variety of
fields.  LIS emphasizes research that advances basic understanding of
learning and intelligence in natural and artificial systems, as well
as research that supports the development of tools and environments to
test and apply this understanding in real situations.

New Computational Challenges (NCC) focuses on research and tools
needed to discover, model, simulate, analyze, display, or understand
complicated phenomena, to control resources and deal with massive
volumes of data in real time, and to predict the behavior of complex
systems.  These aims will require major advances in hardware and
software to handle complexity, representation, and scale, to enable
distributed collaboration, and to facilitate real-time interactions
and control.

The KDI Competition

A KDI proposal solicitation has just been released; the full text is
posted on the KDI web page at http://www.nsf.gov/kdi.  Letters of
intent are due April 1, 1998, and the deadline for full proposals is
May 8.  Awards will be made in the fall.  Approximately $50 million is
available for funding proposals submitted to this competition.

Proposals are solicited for any amount up to $1.0 million per year for
up to three years.  We expect to make grants at a wide variety of
amounts and durations.  In exceptional cases, awards for up to five
years may be considered if the justification and promise are
compelling.

A second KDI competition will be held in FY 1999, subject to
availability of funds.  An updated solicitation, which may include
revised research emphases, will be released in advance of this
competition.

For more details please see the solicitation.