9.218, Qs: English-Chinese, "promise", (Un)Certainty

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 12 21:18:47 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-218. Thu Feb 12 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.218, Qs: English-Chinese, "promise", (Un)Certainty

Assistant Editors:  Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:12:58 -0800 (PST)
From:  jonathan glassow <hbeng266 at email.csun.edu>
Subject:  Native Chinese Speakers

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 09:24:02 -0500
From:  Karen Courtenay <Karen at LEC.com>
Subject:  The "subject control" verb PROMISE

3)
Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:35:51 CET
From:  Henny Klein <E.H.Klein at farm.rug.nl>
Subject:  (un)certainty

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:12:58 -0800 (PST)
From:  jonathan glassow <hbeng266 at email.csun.edu>

I am presently writing my Master's thesis for linguistics.  The topic of
my thesis is a contrastive analysis of English and Chinese compliment
behavior, as well as looking at how NATIVE CHINESE speakers compliment in
English. Any (NATIVE CHINESE) or (NATIVE ENGLISH) speakers interested in
assisting me in a Discourse Completion Test (DCT) survey of 24 questions
please contact me at :

hbeng266 at csun1.csun.edu

(the DCT can be sent and returned via email)
Thank you very much
Jonathan Glassow