9.228, Qs: Do/Have, Disabilities, Spanish, Primates

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 14 22:13:59 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-228. Sat Feb 14 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.228, Qs: Do/Have, Disabilities, Spanish, Primates

Assistant Editors:  Brett Churchill <brett at linguistlist.org>
		    Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: James German <james at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:51:17 +0100
From:  ibirks at pratique.fr (Ivan BIRKS)
Subject:  NICE HAVE ?

2)
Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:27:48 -0800 (PST)
From:  Johanna Rubba <jrubba at polymail.cpunix.calpoly.edu>
Subject:  Re: 9.213, Sum: Foreign Language Learning Disability

3)
Date:  Sat, 14 Feb 1998 02:36:40 +0000
From:  Victor Prijker <shiket at bigfoot.com>
Subject:  About Spanish articles

4)
Date:  Sun, 15 Feb 1998 03:23:35 +1100
From:  pugs <pugs at ozemail.com.au>
Subject:  Phonemes amongst other primates

Date:  Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:51:17 +0100
From:  ibirks at pratique.fr (Ivan BIRKS)

Dear Linguists,

The establishment of DO as an auxiliary verb seems to have been a
gradual process in early Modern English.  Certain verbs took longer to
fit into the NICE framework, to adopt Palmer's term- verbs such as
COME, SAY, and most notably HAVE (esp. in British English).

The first examples of HAVE used with DO in an interrogative or
negative context would appear to go back to 1800 ca.  In every case,
HAVE is not stative eg:

Do have the goodness to hear me my third act - Jane Austen
some people did not have their fill of laughter - Charles Dickens

Given that HAVE in its non-stative uses was widespread before 1800, I
would like to know:

1/ How the negative/ interrogative form was expressed before 1800.
(eg How would Milton have said 'I didn't have the hors d'oeuvre, but
Tabatha did.  What did you have, Mel?')

2/ If any of you have bibliographical references to hand on this
subject.

As supplementary questions:

3/ What credence would you give to claims for a functional opposition
between the simple form and the DO-form of HAVE in contemporary
British English?
eg Palmer suggests that the following sentence is acceptable and not
contradictory:

        The supermarket hasn't any ice-cream, but it _does_ have
	ice-cream.

HAVEN'T is 'now', or individual level, whereas DOES HAVE is 'generally
speaking', ie 'usually stock'...

4/ Has the simple form (eg I haven't a clue) completely died out in
American English?

Thanking you in advance,

Ivan

Ivan Birks