9.8, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 6 15:59:32 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-8. Tue Jan 6 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.8, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:34:37 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 8.1832, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Tue, 23 Dec 1997 10:36:13 -0800
From:  Tim Beasley <tbeasley at ucla.edu>

3)
Date:  Wed, 24 Dec 1997 16:35:42 -0400
From:  Stirling Newberry <allegro at thecia.net>
Subject:   Re: Discussion of Prescriptivism

Date:  Tue, 23 Dec 1997 09:34:37 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu

It is amazing to me how difficult it is to use language to
communicate.  I never said that any aspect of language should
not be taught, but a number of folks are putting that in my
mouth.  Actually,I do have views on this subject, but I do not
want to go into that now beyond noting that there are certainly
millions if not more of people who learn their native languages
(and smaller but no less impressive numbers who learn second,
third, etc. languages) without the help of professional
educators, thank you.  As for reading and writing specifically,
the situation is more complicated but there would seem to be
cases of written languages that are learned without formal training
of the sort we take for granted.  Perhaps someone who knows more
of the Hanunoo situation than I do might comment on that?  But
the reason I want to stay away from this here is that this part of
the bigger question of whether professional educators in general
or at least those in cultures such as modern N. America or
modern S. Asia or whatever do more good than harm--and whether
certain particular WAYS of teaching, such as the modernways of
teaching reading in the US are better or worse than other ways.
This really is a different topic from that of prescriptivism
though not entirely unrelated to it, of course.

What I have in mind is a differnt kind of thing entirely, namely,
why in languages with final devoicing like Dutch or Polish we
should insist on forcing children to write forms with final
voiced obstruents when we know that languages like Middle Dutch
and Middle High German, for example, did very well writing things
the way they are spoken; why we insist on (in my view) wasting
so much time on "correct" spelling in English; why anybody should
invent and teach the various artificial "standard literary"
languages when the colloquial varieties are so perfectly serviceable,
and so on. I think that most of those who do not agree with me
so far are thinking of a TINY numbne of plainly silly presriptive
rules in English, forgetting about the ENORMOUS infrastructure of
prescription here and even more so in other languages which we take
for granted, being ourselves products of the educational establishments
which thrive by creating and teaching such made-up languages as
Standard English or Standard Hebrew or whatever.  To me, the whole
point of opposing prescriptivism must be not to merely fight against
a few minor irritants which most people recognize as silly but against
the whole theory and practice of standardization, suppresion of
dialects, invention of artificial systems of grammar, spelling, etc.,
and the underlying ideas which hold that, for example, we could not
communicte if there were not a single standard spelling (nonsense, how did
theElizabethans comunciate), a standard pronunciations (nonsense, how does
English, the wodl's most successful langueg work so well?), a single
stanard dialect (nonsen again, see Siwtzerland or Ancient Greece),
and so on.

In short, much of the linguistic reality we take for granted in the
"modern" world is based on ideas and attitudes which a nonprescritivist
has to reject, in my view.  But as I have pointedout before much of
this linguistic reality was created with the active help of linguists.
Moreover, it is important to point out that (pace Dick Hudson), there
IS a fundamental problem which I have so far avoided bringing up,
but which is another paradox: since millions of people do use
the prescriptivists' creations, to attack prescriptivism is to tell
people to change the way they use language--and hence it becomes
a kind of prescriptivism too!  This is like the probnlem we find in
any science of human behavior: if we find, say, that the view of
sex taught for the last couple of centuries in much of the world is
based on iedas wholly at odds with what anthropology and sexology
have discovered, then we are doing more than describing how human
sexuality really works, we are inevitably implying that for example
children should not be punished for masturbating or other forms of
sex play.  Same with language: if we find, as I think we must, that
most of what our cluture(s) believe about language is wrong, we do
imply certain very specific DO's and DONT's.

Which leads me to my final observation.  I SUSPECT that the distinction
we have been taught between presciption and description is the wrong way
to try to capture what is different between the world of William Safire
and the linguist's idea of how language really works.  There is
a distinction but nOT because the former prescribes and the latter
describes.  There is much to recommend this view: for example, surely
few of us would argue that medicine is unscientific because it prescribes.
So my current gropings towards reconciling the various pardoxes lead
me to the idea that the differnece between (good) linguistics and
the dominant cultural view of lg in the modern world is not that
between description and prescription at all but is analogous to
the distinction between (idealized) medicine and quakery.  Of course,
(good) lx like (good) medicine are based on accurate description
of what is (but crucially also on models of how and why, not just
what), AND (good) lx like (good) medicine teches that many things
should be left to nature and that many forms of intervention that
have traditionally been accepted are ineffective, counterproductive,
and plain cruel and stupid, and SO it becomes tempting to identify
the scientific view with description and lack of prscription, but that
is a fundamental mistake.  (And of couse on this view we can make
better sense of the fact that "prescriptivists" DO make claims of des
criptive fact, usually false one--as Dick H keeps pointing out. For.
once more, description is not the sole domain of the good guys.)

AMR