9.30, Qs: Modals, Connectionism, Zwarts' Ref., GB

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jan 11 02:06:35 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-30. Sun Jan 11 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.30, Qs: Modals, Connectionism, Zwarts' Ref., GB

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:07:00 +0900
From:  Kenji Kashino <YIB00161 at niftyserve.or.jp>
Subject:  Modals

2)
Date:  Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:55:01 -0500 (EST)
From:  Wesley Schwein <schwein at pegasus.montclair.edu>
Subject:  Connectionism and 2nd Language Learning

3)
Date:  Sat, 10 Jan 1998 15:19:38 -0700
From:  pmillar at cadvision.com (Paul Millar)
Subject:  Zwarts' Article

4)
Date:  Thu, 8 Jan 1998 10:07:22 +0000
From:  "Tibor Szecsenyi" <sztibor at sol.cc.u-szeged.hu>
Subject:  Preposition + PRO

Date:  Sat, 27 Dec 1997 23:07:00 +0900
From:  Kenji Kashino <YIB00161 at niftyserve.or.jp>

Hi!  I have some questions about English modals.
Which modal is more suitable in (1) and (2)?

(1) Bill isn't eating his food.  He (doesn't have to / may not) be
hungry.

(2) A: Someone is knocking on the door.  It must be John.
    B: It (doesn't have to / may not) be John.  It could be George.

In the following example, does "It doesn't have to be Dexter." have
the meanin g of (4a) or (4b)?  The context of example (3) is as
follows: FBI is looking f or a senator who hatches a plot to
assassinate the U S President.  They narrowed th e suspicious senators
down to five.  This is what Mark said after someone told

Mark that it is Dexter.

(3) "The other four senators may have more powerful motives we don't
happen to know about.  It doesn't have to be Dexter," continued Mark,
sounding unconvinced.
(4) a. It is not certain that it is Dexter.
    b. It is possible that it is not Dexter.

Please e-mail me directly.

With thanks in advance and best wishes,
Kenji Kashino (Kenny)