9.68, Disc: Prescriptivism

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 16 16:10:24 UTC 1998

LINGUIST List:  Vol-9-68. Fri Jan 16 1998. ISSN: 1068-4875.

Subject: 9.68, Disc: Prescriptivism

Associate Editor: Ljuba Veselinova <ljuba at linguistlist.org>

Assistant Editors:  Martin Jacobsen <marty at linguistlist.org>
                    Anita Huang <anita at linguistlist.org>

Editor for this issue: Elaine Halleck <elaine at linguistlist.org>

Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:33:36 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>
Subject:  Re: 8.1807, Disc: Prescriptivism

2)
Date:  Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:32:01 -0500 (EST)
From:  manaster at umich.edu
Subject:  Re: 9.47, Disc: Prescriptivism

3)
Date:  Thu, 15 Jan 1998 02:48:10 EST
From:  RNelsonjr <RNelsonjr at aol.com>
Subject:  Re: 9.60, Disc: Prescriptivism

Date:  Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:33:36 -0500 (EST)
From:  Larry Rosenwald <LROSENWALD at WELLESLEY.EDU>

	I've been reading this discussion with great interest, and
it's led me to wonder about books or conferences where prescriptivism
is the common subject, but the population is mixed - including, say,
linguists, teachers of expository writing, and what Steven Pinker
calls "language mavens."  Are there such books?  Have there been such
conferences?  If not, doesn't it seem like a good idea to bring these
populations together in some forum or another?
	Best, Larry Rosenwald